Five Sources of Inspiration for Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

The first few weeks of the semester always start out great. You stocked up on back-to-school clothes over the summer and have caught up on enough sleep to actually care what you look like every day. Fast forward to the middle of the semester and you are wearing yesterday’s leggings and waking up a mere ten minutes before class. During times like these it can be difficult to figure out what to wear. Rather than turning to the same old sources of inspiration like magazines or Pinterest, there are a lot of other unique and inspirational places you can turn to during those dreadful fashion slumps. Here are my top five sources of inspiration:

1. Art: Art feeds the soul and offers a different style for everyone. Maybe you are interested in graphic prints and the 1960’s and draw inspiration from artists like Mondrian; or maybe you like more ethereal and romantic looks and draw inspiration from Degas or Monet. Visit some art galleries or museums to figure out which artists, paintings, or sculptures you like best.

2. Architecture: Architecture is a great inspiration for the structure and lines of your clothing. Skyscrapers inspire bold, straight edges and simple designs; whereas ornate detailing inspires softer looks. Whether you live in a small or big city you can find inspiration in the infrastructure around you. Look towards the tops of buildings to get the best inspiration.

3. Nature: You do not need to wear a tropical or animal print shirt to have a nature-inspired look. Draw inspiration from the colors, patterns and textures you find the next time you are going for a walk, bike ride, or swim at the beach.

4. Music: Surprisingly enough, music has a major influence on what we wear. There is rap and electronic music for when you are getting ready to go out on a Friday night, soft acoustic music for lazy Sundays when you wear your most comfortable clothing, and indie/country/pop or whatever your favorite go-to genre is for walking to class.

5. Street Style: You do not need to look at Pinterest to see what is happening around the world fashion-wise. Get off your laptop or phone and go see what people are wearing in your town. Trust me, there are plenty of people who are wearing cool and unique clothing that is not being featured online.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout