Favorite Fashion Trends from 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Fashion is constantly changing and it’s interesting to look back and see how much has changed from year to year. Here are some of my favorite trends from the past year.

1. Fur

Fur made a huge comeback this year, especially in bold colors and prints. Vests, coats, shoes, and purses were most popular items on display.

2. Cut Out Sleeves

Cut out sleeves were another very popular top this year.  They show off your shoulder in another sexy way and had many different colors and prints to them. 

3. Ruffles

I absolutely love ruffles, so when I started to see more of these making their way to the store racks, I was so excited. They showed up on shirts, skirts, dresses, sleeves, purses, almost anything you can think of! 

4. Velvet

Velvet made a huge comeback this year and was such a big hit.  Shirts, skirts, dresses, and shoes were made from velvet in all sorts of colors but black, maroons, plums, and blush pinks were popular choices of color this year.

5. Off-the-Shoulder

As shirts, these were so popular in 2017, that in every clothing store I walked into, they were front and center, begging to be purchased to complete your wardrobe. These are super cute to pair with a pair of jeans or were perfect for a sexy dress. 

6. Laces

Laces are no longer just for your shoes.  This year there were so many different and unique ways of lacing up your clothes.  They were featured as sleeves, around the waist, or holding two separate pieces of a top together. 

7. Florals

Floral patterned anything was a super popular print this year.  From shirts, to dresses, to pants, to skirts, to accessories, to everything was a popular choice this year.

8. Bralettes

These were a very popular item of clothing this year.  They were perfect for a night out or an awesome look with high waisted pants or a skirt.  They also went great under a suit coat for a sexy yet classy look.  

9. Neutrals

You can never go wrong with neutrals, but this was the year for them to shine.  Every clothing item and accessory appeared in neutral colors and made for a simple and sleek look.

Erika is a Professional Communications and Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout.  She hopes to find a career in journalism after graduation to continue her love for writing. She loves fashion, dancing, and sleeping.
Her Campus at UW-Stout