Fall Semester Survival Guide to Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

The start of fall semester is always a struggle for me fashion-wise. So long are the summer days of rotating between the same few outfits: printed dress and a cardigan day; striped, comfy nap-time dress; Addams Family dress; baggy Aladdin pants day; and hot pink cuffed pants day. It was marvelous. Now that school has started I’ve lost that sense of comfort and routine. These are difficult to achieve in college: we have 8 a.m. classes, unpredictable weather and super observant friends and classmates. Let’s be honest, we don’t have time to worry about that. All you need to survive this semester are a couple basics which you can easily mix and match. The best part is, it doesn’t require a lot of effort or money. You will look super chic and put-together without really having to lift a finger.

1. Fisherman’s Sweater: This is a classic piece you can use year-round. Stick to a neutral color for optimal versatility.

2. Oversized Coat: Similar to the sweater, you want a coat that will work for a multitude of outfits. Especially for the days when you’re wearing a bulkier sweater you want to make sure the coat has a looser fit for maximum comfort and ease. Steer clear of white and stick to gray, black or earthy tones; they are far more forgiving of stains.

3. Jogger Pants: Leggings are great but sometimes you need a more polished pair. Jogger pants are meant to be worn a little looser so you won’t have to worry about sacrificing your comfort. They are casual yet refined and pair well with just about anything.

4. Infinity Scarf: Yes, these are still fashionable. You probably have a bunch of them left over from last year so reuse, reuse, reuse! If you haven’t jumped on the bandwagon yet, it’s not too late; fast fashion stores such as H&M, Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters always have them in stock.

5. Edgy Sneakers: Sneakers made a major comeback this last year. From athletic to basic, they are the perfect option for your lazy days. Target has a bunch of super affordable and trendy pairs, with everything from quilted to animal prints.

Take these staple items and pair them with everything—even some of your spring and summer pieces. Alternate frequently and you will never again complain that you have nothing to wear…at least for this semester.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout