girl with jean jacket and collge hat peace sign
Taylor Thoman / Her Campus

“Expertly” Explaining Tweets About Spring Training

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I’ve recently started trying to understand other forms of entertainment, and doing so through very badly explaining tweets on the subject. Since it is Spring Training, and I am a diehard Oakland Athletics fan, I thought it was the perfect time to explain some tweets to those of you who don’t yet understand the beautifully intricate culture of baseball’s Spring Training.

Golden Glove Predictions

A double play is when the defensive team is able to get two outs (there are three requiried to end/move on in the inning) in one play. It’s an exceptional feat, and is only out-done with a triple play. 

A golden glove is awarded to players that are so exceptional in their position that they are the best in the league at that particular position. The Oakland Athletics are known for racking up lots of gloves for their third basemen; with Eric Chavez winning the coveted award six consecutive years during his heyday.  

The Spring Training Environment

You might be wondering why Spring Training is so important. It’s more than just an opportunity for players to get the rust out before opening day, or for coaches to play around with strategy. This is the golden opportunity for fans to see their teams play. There’s no other time in the season where games are happening like this. It’s a much more casual playing environment, and fans have unparalled access to seeing their favorites play over and over. It’s like Coachella for baseball! 

“It’s Just Spring Training”

This is a phrase that’s used to explain away poor team performance during the process. Records aren’t made or lost during Spring Training, so that’s why the passion and performance on these fields are different than during the regular season. Of course, it can also be used to deter athletes from giving it their all during these training games. When a player does do exceptional during Spring Training, they’re essentially ignoring that it’s “supposed” to be just training.

Schedules

Playing schedules are so different during Spring Training! During the regular season, Major League teams are split into either the American League, or the less impressive National League. And teams will rarely play against those from the other league until it’s World Series time. There are always exceptions though, consider the famous Battle of the Bay, between the AL Oakland Athletics and the NL San Francisco Giants. 

Stadiums Change!

Looking at this tweet, you’ll be sure to recognize that it’s taken from Arizona, and proudly features the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (the name is a long story!). If you’re familiar with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, you’ll know that they play in Anaheim California, a far stretch from sunny Arizona. This is because Spring Training takes place in Arizona and Florida! And we can thank the predictable weather and accessibility for the switch!

Traveling Fans

Nobody can deny that Wisconsinites are passionate about their sports. You need a lot of passion to continually root for the mediocrity of the Midwest. Given that passion, Wisconsin fans are at the ready to celebrate Spring Training in full force! Making it out of a Wisconsin winter to celebrate baseball with it’s most passionate fans has always been the most glorious way to spend a spring break vacation. 

Heated Rivalries

The San Francisco Giants are a leading member of the National League West, and the Astros formerly led the American League West. It’s a stand-off that doesn’t come around very often, and is more heated this time around due to the recent breaking of the Astros scandal. 

Watching Spring Training

https://twitter.com/EvanSmoake/status/1234831265775284225?s=20

Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to watch Spring Training games. A lot of them are happening around the same time, and ESPN/MLB is stretched pretty thin. There are ways around it, but you just hate to miss anything!

Spring Training Delicacies

Baseball helmets are objectively very cool. There’s a lot of use for them, and concession stands across the country will prove that you to. Some stadiums are known for how they use novelty helmets as a dish, and fans can get upset about missing their favorite when traveling for away games. Hands-down still the best way to eat food though!

Everything You Need to Know About Baseball

If baseball culture goes over your head, then this is the thread for you! If you love baseball culture and want to see it expressed in a creative way, then this is the thread for you! If you’ve ever wondered what Muppet character would be the perfect mascot for your favorite team, then this is everything you’ve been dreaming of! It can’t be oversold because it’s perfect for everyone. 

Spring training is truly Major League Baseball’s gift to the world. It’s crazy, it’s loud, and it’s everything you could ever want leading up to Opening Day!

Stephanie Zengler is a Business Administration major and Communication Studies minor, and she completely understands if you think her last name is actually Ziegler. Like a lot of business majors, Stephanie has a favorite Andrew Carnegie quote, and like a good communication minor, has very strong opinions on the Oxford comma. Aside from being a Stout student, Stephanie is an avid fan of Bay Area sports, Fleetwood Mac, and the amazingly perfect show Dollface.