stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Exercise: The Cure-All Drug

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

“Some might assume time at the gym is a distraction from academics, but it is really part of the learning landscape” -Tricia Zelaya of Purdue Recreational Sports

As finals are approaching, our lives are getting busier, and with the addition college drinking and eating habits we should be looking to exercise to relieve stress, both physically and mentally. 

One obvious benefit of routine exercise is maintaining or losing weight. However, there are many hidden benefits to exercising including reduced risk of diabetes, some cancers like breast and colon, increased bone and muscle strength, and reduced risk of arthritis. 

There are even some minor benefits that can improve our everyday quality of life. These can include improved sleep, better endurance, stress relief, improved mood, increased energy, reduced tiredness, and reduced risk of cardiovascular issues.

Exercise is often neglected in mental health care as a valid medication while in reality it can improve someone’s health drastically. 

By exercising, there is an increase in blood circulation in the brain, as well as other parts of the central nervous system that regulate mood, motivation, and general functions of the body. 

The University of Purdue found that students who attended the gym at least once per week or more had higher GPA’s than those students who didn’t attend quite as much or regularly. Regular exercise was also shown to improve time management skills since the students had to fit their workouts into their busy schedules. 

As a rule of thumb when working out, keep to your target heart rate range in order to get the best results without overexerting yourself. Your target range can be calculated below:

220-age=Maximum Heart Rate

(0.60)(Maximum Heart Rate)=Lower target heart rate

(0.80)(Maximun Heart Rate)=Upper target heart rate

Your lower to upper target heart rate is the range that you want to be in for at least 20 minutes of your workout in order to benefit your cardiovascular system the most. This means that you should barely be able to hold a conversation while still sweating. In order to check your target heart rate range, count your pulse for 10 seconds and multiply that number by 6 to get your heartbeats per minute. Do this 3 times per workout to make sure you are staying within your target range.

Always remember to start your workout with a 5 minute warmup to loosen up muscles, then proceed into 20 or more minutes at your target heart rate, and then a cool down of 5 minutes too. Keep in mind that the acronym “FIT” in aerobic acitivity stands for Frequency (of at least 3 times per week), Intensity (within the target heart rate range), and Time (at least 20 minutes of intense workout). Remember to drink enough water; 3-8 fluid ounces every 15-20 minutes when exercising less than 60 minutes and 3-8 fluid ounces of a sports beverage that contains 5-8% carbohydrates with electrolytes every 15-20 minutes when exercising more than 60 minutes. Do not consume more than 1 quart of fluid per hour due to risk of overhydration.

I'm a Dietetics student at UW-Stout! My passions are health & nutrition, music, movies, sports, eco-friendly living, and being around fun-loving people.
Her Campus at UW-Stout