This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

We are a group of Stout Proud students and that includes being proud of the town that surrounds our perfect little community. Menomonie is a wonderful place filled with quaint coffee shops and little adventures around every corner. However, every now and again it is nice to step away from the stress of studying and take a day trip nearby. There are many gems within an hour away from Menom that are perfect and exciting escapes.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

This location is well known by Stouties everywhere. Whenever you want a great meal you either go to Jakes Supper Club here in Menomonie, or head out to Eau Claire for an even wider variety. Once the weather warms a bit, Eau Claire has some amazing walking trails to take in the scenery and enjoy spring. Head onto the website to find some original activities to do at.

Woodbury, Minnesota

While many students head to Eau Claire to do their clothing shopping, a better choice would be to head across the river to Woodbury, Minnesota. Woodbury is a huge commercial area where you can find pretty much anything that you need. From DSW all the way to chipotle, they pretty much have everything your little heart could desire.

Stillwater, Minnesota

While a little farther away, an hour in commute, Stillwater is a gorgeous riverside treasure. Known for its various shops and numerous antique stores, there is always something to do. Visit the website and click on events to find fun activities. Perfect for girls night out, Lowell Inn is having a paint and sip with wine and appetizers included. Otherwise you can’t go wrong with dinner at the Green Room or Marx Wine Bistro, both two exemplary restaurants.

Hudson, Wisconsin

Nearby to Stillwater, Hudson is another river town that is perfect for a date night out. Begin your day away by heading above the city to Birkmose Park for an amazing view overlooking the St. Croix river valley which is home to several Native American burial mounds. Around sunset, grab dinner on the patio at Pier 500 and then take a walk riverside, only to end the night with some great draft beers at the Smilin’ Moose. Only about fifty minutes away, Hudson will become your perfect escape away.

Nelson, Wisconsin

One little hideaway nearby to memomonie is Nelson, Wisconsin. Known in the area is the Nelson Creamery, and incredible little eatery with appetizers of quality cheeses, olives, wine, and other small plates. Follow this link to learn more about his historic site.

Allison is a girl. She likes to think she's "not like other girls" but that probably untrue.
Her Campus at UW-Stout