This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

On Sunday December 7th, the Stout symphonic band performed An English Holiday Concert directed by Dr. Durst. The band was first founded in 1914 and since then, grown in numbers. There is something special about the members of the band because as many may know, there is not a traditional music major offered at Stout. The band members are definitely motivated to learn more music and brush up on their musical skills.

The band started out with a pompous tune called, Flourish for Wind Band, which certainly set the mood and got the audience excited for what was coming.

They also played more familiar tunes that are recognizable. The woodwind quartet; consisting of the flute, oboe, clarinet, horn, and saxophone played the theme to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Another familiar tune that was played was Fantasia on the “Dargason” which is actually commonly known as Greensleeves, an Irish tune.

Percussion did an amazing job as a section when playing Suite Number One by Fred Emory Smith. There was complex rhythms and a plethora of instruments involved.

Lastly, the Symphonic Band closed their concert with the beloved, Hallelujah Chorus composed by Handel. Even though there was not an actual chorus there, you could still sit and enjoy the lovely melodies coming from the instruments. 

The concert lasted a little over an hour and it was absolutely worth the time spent.

“Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”

– Berthold Auerbach

Hannah is currently a freshmen at the University of Wisconsin - Stout. She is studying Business Administration. Along with Her Campus, she enjoys sand volleyball, Netflix, and cats. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout