This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I used to be fascinated with beauty pageants. I would watch Toddlers and Tiaras and laugh all day at the absurdness. The movie Dumplin is nothing like Toddlers and Tiaras. The movie is about self-esteem, grief, and finding the confidence to be yourself.

I was interested when I saw the movie recommended to me on Netflix while I was scrolling. “If a movie has Jennifer Aniston it has to be good” I thought. I was right. I laughed so hard at the funny moments and cried at the sad parts. It is easy to relate to the character Willowdean as I also struggle with low self esteem and am grieving. While learning how to do pageants, she learns how to let go and be herself. It is a feel good movie with many good messages. You will be smiling during and after the movie. Willowdean will inspire everyone, even those those who are not bigger or a girl. The message the movie sends is for all: be proudly yourself.

The acting is wonderful. Danielle Macdonald does a great job at being relatable and realistic. I was cheering on her character every step of the way, I knew from the first second of the movie I was going to love this character. Jennifer Aniston does a great job at playing a pageant mom. Overall the casting and acting is very good for this movie.

There is no sex or violent scenes so you don’t have to worry about that. There is some swearing but I don’t mind that at all. I myself have a pottymouth. If you don’t like that this might not be the movie for you.

Overall, this movie is great. The only complaint I have is that I wish the ending was different, but if the ending was changed the message would be different. I would rate Dumplin’ a 8.5/10. It’s not an Oscar winning movie but it made me feel good and portrayed a good message so I appreciate that. If you want to watch a feel good movie I recommend Dumplin’ 100%!

Hannah Plitzner

UW Stout '23

I'm a college freshman going into Entertainment Design! I like movies, dogs, and drawing. My pronouns are she/her.
Her Campus at UW-Stout