alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

To-Do’s Before Summer Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

For many of us collegiates, this school year is soon to come to an end. With only about a month left the stress has slowly begun to fill our caffeine controlled bodies. From exams, to internships, or finding a place to live this summer, our minds are clouded with an abundant amount of decisions and questions. Everyone has hectic to-do” lists in order to finish the semester with the grades they want. Many are also trying to figure out a solid plan for the next couple months. While creating your “to-do” list, here are a few more things to put down and be sure to get done before we all part for the summer.

Thank A Friend

Every school year brings about new hardships and trials, but everyone has had someone who has gone out of their way to help them. That person that was there to simply listen and support you in a time of need. Whether that was a late night phone call or maybe they made you go out and have fun when you were upset. No matter the situation these connections are what make life worthwhile, so be sure to let them know the difference they have made.

Schedule In A Margarita Night

Grades and school are important, but the nights you are going to remember years down the road are not the nights you were up until dawn to study economics. You will remember those spontaneous nights with friends at the local Mexican restaurant where you indulged in a few more dollar margaritas than planned. As the end of the semester nears, remind yourself to work hard, but also play hard and make memories that will last a lifetime.

Give Thanks To Your Parents

Remember when in high school when we all thought we hated our parents. It’s funny how now they are the first people we go to in a time of need. For another year they have been there to worry about us and always be sure we can handle our lives. Maybe when on spring break you ran out of money and they were there to transfer more for and extra meal of tacos. Maybe they were there to send chocolate and movies when you went through a tough break-up. Or maybe they were just the encouragement you needed to feel like you could handle life and were going somewhere.  Let them know that their dedication to your life has not gone unnoticed.

Mend Some Wounds

Life is too short to have grudges and with summer around the corner you may miss an opportunity to make an uncomfortable situation right. Whether that means saying you’re sorry or finally deciding to forgive someone, the relief will be amazing. You may have had that one person pop into your mind as you read this. The person you’ve been missing a lot, or the person that you think of and instantly feel guilty. No matter the situation, you have time to make a change for the better, therefore do what is right and don’t hold onto regrets.

Donate To Those Less Fortunate

As you leave your university for the summer, take some time to go through your things and donate all that you no longer use on a daily. Not only will this declutter and organize your life, but there is something to be said about being able to give to others. As fortunate students, we tend to collect and maybe have more that we actually need. Prepare for your few months off of school by minimizing what you have and doing very little to make someone else life a little easier.

Treat Yo’ Self

There is something to be said about retail therapy. As dangerous as it can be, it works. You know how hard you have been working and how many things you have accomplished and you deserve to be rewarded. Far too often, many of what we will do won’t be recognized, so treat yourself. Those shoes you’ve been dreaming of or that spa day that you know would do wonders for your mental state, Treat yourself. You are amazing, and you deserve it.

As summer approaches, remember that life is not as serious as it seems all the time, and sometimes the most important things to get done are not what you think they are.

Allison is a girl. She likes to think she's "not like other girls" but that probably untrue.
Her Campus at UW-Stout