Dos & Don’ts of Cold & Flu Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Cold and flu season is just around the corner, but there are a few ways to either prevent yourself from getting sick completely or at least lessen the symptoms. Follow these easy tips to make the next few months a little bit easier!

DON’T forget to layer up.

As much as we’d like to blame the cold weather when we get sick, it’s actually the lowering of our core body temperature that leads to a weakened immune system, which makes us more vulnerable when exposed to germs. If you remember to check the weather before heading out and bundle up accordingly, the cold itself will not give you a cold.

DO stay hydrated and take vitamins to boost your immunity.

It can be hard to take a cold seriously before symptoms set in, but if you treat your body right you may be able to prevent it altogether. If you can get in eight hours of sleep and some exercise, that certainly won’t hurt either!

DON’T skimp on the hand washing.

I know, I know – you hear this all the time. It really helps! Our hands pick up so much random stuff. At the very least, wash your hands before preparing and eating your food and avoid touching your face.

DO invest in a humidifier.

You know how much a long, hot shower can clear up congestion and make you feel a million times better when you’re sick. A humidifier mimics this with less intensity and helps prevent the negative effects of dry winter air on your body.

DON’T let stress overwhelm you.

Winter is notorious for causing stress due to gloomy weather and the busy holiday season, which in turn compromises your immune system and can also lead to poor choices about food and prevent a healthy amount of sleep. Develop stress management techniques before you need them. Recognize the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

DO sneeze and cough into your elbow or a tissue.

You don’t want to be that person. Keep the spread of germs under control by getting it away from your hands and the open air.

I'm a Criminal Justice and Rehabilitation major at the University of Wisconsin - Stout who enjoys dancing, thought-provoking movies, and anything that involves zombies.
Her Campus at UW-Stout