burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Do’s and Don’ts of Casual Mondays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

There is no nice way to say it: Mondays are rough. After a brief weekend of procrastination, comfy pants, and Netflix it can be difficult to pry yourself out of bed to attend classes. To help you survive those dreaded Monday mornings I have compiled a list of fashion do’s and don’ts to help you feel comfortable but still look put together.

DO

-DO wear leggings. Dress them up with a statement sweater or top.

-DO wear sneakers. These are so trendy right now. Pair them with form fitting leggings or pants in neutral tones.

-DO wear pajama pieces. I am not talking about footed pajamas, I am talking about silk, thick pants or tops. Pair them with boyfriend jeans or a button down shirt for optimal comfort and chicness. Pick pajama tops and bottoms that are not obviously so—subtlety is everything. Stick to neutrals and simple patterns–no crazy or embarrassing designs allowed. Check out J.Crew for some great pieces.

-DO wear minimal makeup. Fashion is forgiving on Mondays, as are your friends and classmates. Plus, after going all out with makeup on Friday and Saturday night, you need to let your face breathe.

DON’T

-DON’T underestimate the power of tights. They are similar to leggings in terms of comfort but always give you a heightened level of dressiness.

-DON’T wear sweatpants and UGGS. I know it was just the weekend, it is freezing cold outside, and it is Monday but pick one comfy garment (sweatpants or UGGS, for example) and dress it up for a more polished look. 

-DON’T spend too much time on your hair. Sleep in a little later than usual and give your hair a break from the straightening and curling irons. A sleek ponytail or au naturel is perfectly acceptable.

-DON’T take off your coat. You bought that sleek (and slightly overpriced) winter coat for a reason. It is a great cover for those days when you hate what you are wearing. Plus, classrooms and lecture halls are always freezing in the early morning.

-DON’T say goodbye to your blanket. You can pretend you are still in bed while in class by purchasing a blanket scarf. Do it. I have one and it is currently my best friend.

These tips are not only for Mondays—incorporate them throughout the entire week. You should be comfortable but proud of your outfit to successfully pull off these comfy/chic looks.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout