Alcohol Girl Happy Drinking
Alcohol Girl Happy Drinking
Alex Frank / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Nobody likes to go too hard drinking and end up still paying for it days later. If you put in the necessary planning before alcohol consumption, you can enjoy yourself to the full extent.

Sleep

Photo by Polina Zimmerman from Pexels

Make sure that you’ve had a good night’s sleep before going out. Sleep deprivation makes alcohol a more dangerous game and could increase the effects of drinking. If you didn’t get the recommended eight hours earlier, try to take advantage of a good nap beforehand and catch up on those z’s.

Eating

Woman Holds Sliced Pizza Seats By Table With Glass
bruce mars / Pexels

Before

You might think it best to skip dinner and make up for the missing calories while drinking. You may even try to reason that with missing dinner, you’ll be drinking more effectively.  Unfortunately, drinking on an empty stomach leads to less absorption of alcohol, and greater chances of puking your guts out. Eat a good meal before going out to drink, and make sure that it has a good balance of carbs, protein, healthy fat, and produce.

During

So there actually is a reason that so many bars offer complimentary nuts. The simple snack pairs surprisingly well with inebriation. You might have difficulty procuring miso soup, or a light, protein-rich meal while in a drive bar, a few handfuls of nuts will really come in clutch for you.

After

With the night winding down, you may feel the urge to go to town on some pizza fries and tacos. While great eating choices, and absolutely delicious, your body will thank you ten-fold if you opt for a light night diner and get a meal your mom would be proud of. A nice Caesar salad, some pasta, or hearty potatoes will be a blessing.

Drinking

Girls Drinking Wine
Alex Frank / Spoon

What You Drink

Put some thought into your alcohol choice while you’re out. Alcohols such as Absinthe, Bacardi, Vodka, Rum, Whisky, and Everclear will put a damper on the evening. Instead, opt for drink ingredients such as Sherry, White Port, Vermouth, Campari, Prosecco, and Sangria. You might even find a new favorite cocktail in the process!

How You Drink

While you’re out drinking, it’s important to practice moderation and control. Drink slowly and space out your rounds. If you feel up to it, limit the amount of times you’re going up to the bar as well. It may not be as fun, but it will come back and save you.

Adding Water

A good idea while you’re drinking is to have a glass of water for each alcoholic drink you consume. It might throw you off a rhythm of ordering drinks, but water is also super cheap (or free!) and you’ll save a ton of money throughout the night.

What Can Alter Your Reaction to Alcohol?

Photo by Gemma Chua-Tran on Unsplash

Gender

Evidence shows that women process alcohol at a different rate than their male counterparts. it is important to remember this if you’re trying to go drink for drink with your guy friends. They may have the biology to break down those components with ease, but you need more time.

BMI

Believe it or not, BMI is actually a pretty big determiner for your body will process alcohol consumption. BMI, or Body Mass Index is calculated using weight and height. You can’t do much to alter your height, but there are some things that can affect your weight. An active gym schedule and healthy diet can dramatically change how your body processes alcohol. If you’re participating in a new fitness regimen and cutting carbs, make sure to balance those changes and prepare for a new alcohol limit.

Medications

All medications are not created equal. Some have an unfortunate mix with alcohol, and you should know beforehand about the affects with what you’re taking. Medications that can cause adverse effects include; painkillers, antidepressants, mood stabilizers, antibiotics, as well as pills for anxiety, ADHD, blood pressure, blood clots, and diabetes. If you have questions or concerns regarding your medication(s), you should ask your doctor or pharmacist.

The New Day

When you wake up in the morning, you’ll probably notice that any migraine is minimal, there isn’t any throw up over your clothes, and you have a breezy day ahead of you. Congrats!

DISCLAIMER: Her Campus does not promote unsafe drinking practices, or underage drinking. Please drink responsibly!

Stephanie Zengler is a Business Administration major and Communication Studies minor, and she completely understands if you think her last name is actually Ziegler. Like a lot of business majors, Stephanie has a favorite Andrew Carnegie quote, and like a good communication minor, has very strong opinions on the Oxford comma. Aside from being a Stout student, Stephanie is an avid fan of Bay Area sports, Fleetwood Mac, and the amazingly perfect show Dollface.
Her Campus at UW-Stout