This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

As some of you may remember from a previous article I wrote, I used to have a really unfortunate nail biting habit. Long story short, the only way I don’t bite my nails is when I spend money on them and get them all gelled up, so there is a rare moment when my nails are not done. Unfortunately, this comes with some consequences. 

I don’t get acrylics because they are super bad for your natural nails and I don’t like the thought that if one comes off it will be uncomfortable and I will be screwed until I go back to the salon. They are also more expensive, so I usually try to grow out my natural nails as much as possible and that process goes quicker when I have gel nails on. Recently, I went to the salon and the nail artist commented on how thin my nails looked. He was right. After about four months of never having bare nails, they were taking a toll, so he offered a solution: dipping powder. 

I have always opted out of getting dipping powder because it’s about five dollars more expensive and as a college student who gets their nails done every two weeks, that could add up fast. I was thinking into it because my nail technician told me that my nails would literally break in a couple of days if I don’t get something more substantial on them. It’s been over a week and my nails have never looked healthier. Basically, dipping powder gives your nails nutrients and it’s thick so it prevents breakage, therefore lasting longer. 

I will definitely continue using dipping powder, at least as a base because it was worth it. 

Katie is a student at UW-Stout majoring in Professional Communications and Emerging Media. Her hobbies including cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dante, watching Netflix in her bathrobe, and of course, writing! 
Her Campus at UW-Stout