This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Wisconsin, despite popular belief, is more than just a cheese and football state. We have many things that are exclusive to just our little northwoods nook in the midwest. Things you can’t even cross the border into Minnesota and get!

New Glarus Spotted Cow Beer

In my alcohol endeavors, I tried the popular microbrew. I’m very picky when it comes to beer and this particular brand has surpassed my expectations. If you walk into any bar or restaurant that serves alcohol, you’ll most likely see street signs on the walls reading “Spotted Cow.” It’s available at a majority of gas stations and all liquor stores. It has literally taken over. However, if you happen to cross the border into another state and crave a New Glarus beer, you’re not going to find it. It’s exclusively sold and distributed in Wisconsin. So, if you’re suddenly wanting to try it, you’ll have to come to this hodunk state to get this delicacy. 

Door Peninsula Wine

I would’ve never tried these if I hadn’t gone on a road trip with my friends to Door County. It’s some of the best wine that I’ve ever had and it’s one of the only places I know that has cinnamon wine that you serve warm. You can order wine online, but you have to know that it exists, of course. Also, who would order wine that they haven’t tasted yet?

The World’s Largest Brat Fest

It physically hurts to know that certain people have never tried a bratwurst. Forget hotdogs – these are far better. While they’re sold in other states in the midwest, you’ll have to come to Madison, Wisconsin to attend the World’s Biggest Brat Fest. I bet you didn’t even know there was such a thing. 

*FRESH* Ellsworth Cheese Curds

This fine form of cheese is distributed throughout Minnesota and Wisconsin. However, you’ll only ever get the fresh, squeaky cheese curds if you visit the Ellsworth Creamery. A squeaky cheese curd is the best type of cheese curd. 

Wisconsin Bloody Marys

I’m personally not a fan of Bloody Marys, but the ones you get in Wisconsin are unlike anywhere else in the country. You don’t just get a beer chaser like other places – you get a giant meal to garnish your drink. I was actually at a bar when they were trying to figure out what kind of burger they wanted to place on the skewer. Culinary creativity at its finest. 

Kroll’s West

Located next to Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin, it’s one of Green Bay’s most acclaimed landmarks. In fact, locals and fans of the restaurant made enough noise when the Packers were scouting land to build their Titletown District, that they made it so Kroll’s West was a landmark and couldn’t be torn down. The Packers listened and the restaurant remains busy, especially on game days. They’re home to amazing burgers that have the power to make your cholesterol skyrocket – now that’s a burger you can only get in Wisconsin.

If these don’t give you an excuse to travel to America’s Dairyland, well, I don’t know what else I can do to convince you. Despite our extreme winters, we’re actually a pretty cool state. These most likely aren’t the only delicacies we have. We’re home to quite a few things and locations that you can’t find anywhere else.

I like cats, the Green Bay Packers, and One Direction. That's about it.
Her Campus at UW-Stout