This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Not only do hats keep your head warm throughout those cold, snowy days, but they also are a fashion statement. If you must trudge through the snow this year, why not go out looking like a million bucks? Here are some adorable hairstyles that you can wear under your winter hat so you can stay warm and look fabulous this winter season!

1. Curls/Waves

Having beautiful curl or beachy waves is a popular look. However, add a winter hat and you’ll have a cozy, stunning, and effortless hairstyle! To begin, I suggest using a 1-inch curling iron for bigger and looser waves. For tighter curls, either hold the hair on the barrel for longer (between 10-20 seconds) or use a smaller barrel. Once you’re finished curling all the hair, spray your favorite hairspray and add your hat!

2. Braided Pigtails

Just because braided pigtails were super fashionable when you were young doesn’t mean they ever went out of style! If you want to really amp up this hairstyle, start by dividing the hair equally into two pieces on either side. Start by diving one of the sides into three equal sections and do a normal three-strand braid all the way to the ends and secure with an elastic. Tug at the sides of the braid to loosen it and make it’s voluminous and full. Repeat this process on the other side.  Then, add your winter hat and that’s it! For extra hold, apply some hairspray over the braids and you’re finished!

3. Three Strand Braid

Nothing gets easier than a cute side braid! Not only does this hairstyle is adorable for any season and it looks perfect under any winter hat! All you have to do is gather the hair to one side, and split the hair evenly into three sections. Braid the hair until you reach the end and secure with an elastic. For added volume, pull at the edges of the braid until you’re satisfied with how it looks and that’s it! Once again, if you want it to stay in place all day, apply some hairspray and add your winter hat!

4. Fishtail Braid

The fishtail braid has gained popularity recently, becoming a summertime staple. This hairstyle may look beautiful lounging by the pool, but it’s also perfect out in the snow. To begin, pull all the hair to one side and split the hair into two equal sections. From one of the sections, grab a small section from near the back of that section and cross it over into the other section. From the section you just combined the piece with, grab a new small section from that same side and cross it over to the original section. Repeat this process until you reach the end and secure with an elastic. Like the braids, you can gently pull at the sides to make the fishtail braid more voluminous and finish off with some hairspray and your winter hat.

5. Front Braid

This hairstyle is super easy to do! It’s great if you want the braided look without the entire braid. Begin by grabbing a section from the front of your face and divide it into three equal sections and continue to braid all the way down until you reach the end. Tie it off with an elastic, apply hairspray, and add your hat!

6. Inside Out Pony Tail

No matter what season it is, this hairstyle always looks great and it’s super quick and easy. Start by gathering the hair to one side and secure it into a ponytail with an elastic. I suggest using an elastic that matches your hair color so it hides easier. Then, right above the elastic, create a gap or a hole and flip the ponytail through. This will create a twisted look and you can pull at the edges of the twist to make it fuller. To finish, add your favorite hairspray and, of course, your winter hat and you’re set to go!

It’s important to stay warm this winter, and with these stylish hairstyles, you’ll be looking like a supermodel in no time at all! Have a safe and fabulous winter season!

Hello! My name is Elizabeth Jacobson, but most people call me Liz for short. I am a sophomore this year at UW-Stout to get my Bachelors degree in Business Administration. I plan to have an emphasis in entrepreneurship so that after college I can pursue my dreams of owning my own store. I have a passion for writing. I love new ideas, meeting new people, and exploring different things in life. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout