stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The College Student’s Guide To Eating For One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Planning and preparing meals for one person is not an easy task by any means, so below are a few suggestions to make eating healthier a little easier while shopping for yourself.

Remember these key points when shopping:

1. Buy dry and canned goods in bulk
  2. Make a list of the food you need beforehand and organize that list into categories 
  3. Buy produce in season for fresher and cheaper options
  4. Attend your local farmers market when available for fresh, smaller portioned, and cheap produce that also supports your local farmers
  5. Buy frozen produce for a cheaper, longer-lasting alternative
  6. Buy protein-rich food:

–Eggs are good sources of:

• Protein
  • Vitamin D
  • Choline      

–Meat: Separate by portions into baggies and date the bags according to purchase and expiration dates and place in the freezer for later use.

Remember these key points when preparing and cooking:

1. Pick a day to cook when you are motivated. It doesn’t have to be Sunday contrary to what most people say. Cook in bulk then freeze your extras!

–You can freeze: meats, pre-cooked oatmeal and berries, bread, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. 

–Don’t freeze as well: some breads, soups, casseroles, and some vegetables

–Reheating: Only reheat a small portion of the food you are planning to eat and make sure that the inside of the food reaches over 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

1. Vary your meals and try new recipes in smaller portions to keep yourself interested in the food you are making and freezing
  2. Invest in a crock pot!

4. Have easy and quick snack food on hand:

– Hummus with pita chips, kale chips, carrots, or bell peppers

– Apples with peanut butter

– Yogurt with berries

– Cheese sticks

– Almonds and raisins

– Energy Balls:

5. Moderation is fine! You can’t be expected to avoid all of your favorite foods all of the time.

I'm a Dietetics student at UW-Stout! My passions are health & nutrition, music, movies, sports, eco-friendly living, and being around fun-loving people.
Her Campus at UW-Stout