Sports Soccer Cheering Crowd
Sports Soccer Cheering Crowd
Tiffany Meh / Spoon

Celebrating The Phenomenal US Women’s Soccer Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

In honor of National Girls and Women in Sports Day, it’s prime time to celebrate some of the amazing women on our very own US Women’s Soccer team! They might not be getting paid as much as their male counterparts, but that doesn’t make them any less amazing. 

Megan Rapinoe

A sensation, as a forward and as a person. Megan is an activist on multiple fronts, and is one of the leading voices fighting for equal pay for female athletes. 

Kelley O’Hara

Kelley is a defender off the field as well as on. She famously came out as gay by kissing her girlfriend after winning the Women’s World Cup in 2019!

Crystal Dunn

This defender is the youngest recipient of the MVP award in the National Women’s Soccer League’s history!

Ali Krieger

Another defender who is a member of the LGBT+ community, Krieger is actually married to teammate Ashlyn Harris!

Jessica McDonald

Forward player McDonald has been representing the US internationally playing for various teams since she was a teengaer, and she’s only getting better with each season!

Christen Press

As a forward, Press has a lot of experience playing at an internationally recognized level. She was originally a member of the Canadian Women’s team, but now we’re lucky enough to have her play for us!

The US may not care that much overall about women’s soccer, but that won’t keep the US Women’s Soccer team from crushing it all day, every day!

Stephanie Zengler is a Business Administration major and Communication Studies minor, and she completely understands if you think her last name is actually Ziegler. Like a lot of business majors, Stephanie has a favorite Andrew Carnegie quote, and like a good communication minor, has very strong opinions on the Oxford comma. Aside from being a Stout student, Stephanie is an avid fan of Bay Area sports, Fleetwood Mac, and the amazingly perfect show Dollface.