Campus: Winter Wonderland Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Christmas has come and gone, but it didn’t seem to take the cold away with it. By living in the Midwest, we have learned how to survive these, at times, treacherous conditions. There is one group of humans, however, who seem to handle the cold better than anyone else… and those humans… they are COLLEGE STUDENTS.

1. Blizzard or shine, college kids go to class.

A snow day is a fairy tale to students. Even when the weather is forecasted to be at the level that is harmful to human life, you can find kids bundled head to toe and walking to statistics. Like inhabitants of Antarctic you can’t let that cold weather stop you from living your life and chasing the dream.

1. Nothing will stand in their way of a good party.

Even if the temperature is lower than their ages nothing will hold them back from finding that winter keg. Girls will have their best attire on with boots and full length winter coats over and the lads will walk with their hand buried deep into their pockets pretending they are unaffected by the cold. The students have learned though that there is little better at warming you up than hitting a packed basement dance floor.

1. They have mastered the slide.

I am not referring to the popular seventies dance move. I am talking about the awkward almostslip on the sidewalk and have to play it cool like it never happened. They master the shake it off and pretend like no one saw it. A collegiate may not pay twenty five cents for a meter on campus, but they will pay $150 for a brand new pair of Timberlands simply to avoid this embarrassment.

4. Pond hockey is the most looked forward to event of the season.

The most talked about event to date is pond hockey. Weeks before, college students plan what they will be drinking and how early they will get there. To anyone outside the Midwest or college it would sound insane to walk out on a frozen lake, with hundreds of other kids, and party in the cold temperatures. But to a college kid from the north, puck is life. Come out this Saturday to UW- Stout’s 7th Annual Pond Hockey Tournament starting at 8 am to partake in a bit of this fun for yourself!

6. Dresses will be worn on Valentine’s Day.

College girls have waited months for that certain boy to ask them out and they are not going to stop a little cold stop them from looking good. It does not matter if their legs may freeze off or if their stilettos slip on the ice, they will be dressed to the nines. Not even weather can hold back these collegiates!

7. They adapt to the igloo lifestyle.

College kids are not known for their extensive monetary funds, which is why when you walk into their apartments it feels like you have never left the freezing outside. Their rooms are warm, but to save precious dollars nowhere else in the house is. They often will be found with every door shut trying to conserve that precious warmth.

8. They can not wait for spring.

As a student from the Midwest, you learn to cope and survive in this arctic tundra, we are still all waiting for the day they can finally walk outside without their faces hurting. When that spring day arrives you will be sure to see the masses rocking shorts and tank tops far earlier than they should.

Allison is a girl. She likes to think she's "not like other girls" but that probably untrue.
Her Campus at UW-Stout