Boating Accident Kills Miami Marlins Pitcher José Fernández

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Early Sunday morning, a tragic boating accident claimed the lives of Miami Marlins pitcher José Fernández and two others. The other two victims’ names are being withheld until relatives are notified.

According to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Lorenzo Veloz, a Coast Guard patrol noticed the boat upside down on a rocky jetty around 3:15 a.m. Sunday morning.

About Fernández, Veloz said, “He was pillar to our community. He was involved in everything that he could be to give back.” He stated, “I had the experience of talking to him several times — down-to-earth, great person … It’s really hitting home and it’s horrible.”

At a news conference, Marlins President David Samson said, “Jose is a member of this family for all time. His story is representative of a story of hope, and of love and of faith, and no one will ever let that story die.”

The Marlins game against the Atlanta Braves was cancelled Sunday, the big screen showing Fernández’s name and number in tribute.

Fernández was born in Santa Clara, Cuba, and defected to the United States in 2008 at age 15. He was drafted by the Miami Marlins in 2011 and soon became the franchise’s star pitcher, with two All-Star appearances and a National League Rookie of the Year award in 2013. He also gave us one of the best baseball gifs ever. 

Jack is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout, originally from Plymouth, Minnesota. He is majoring in Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a minor in Spanish.
Her Campus at UW-Stout