Blue Devil Weekly Sports Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Just two weekends ago now, the baseball, softball, and track and field teams all had at least one game or a meet. On Friday the 17th, the women’s and men’s track and field teams travelled to UW-La Crosse to compete. On Saturday the 18th, both baseball and softball teams had their first round of games for the weekend. The baseball team travelled to La Crosse, where both games took place. The softball team hosted two different teams this weekend, Stevens Point and Oshkosh.

One rather exciting thing that happened at the Phil Esten meet on Friday was junior, Laura Mesenburg’s new personal best in polevault of 12’ 1.5”. Aside from beating her previous best height, Mesenburg also won the event.  Out of the seventeen girls jumping, Mesenburg was the only one to clear 12 feet. Taking third in their respective events, Meagan Ward (Sr., heptathlon), Cheyenne Gray (Sr., hurdles), and Laurisa Titterud (Jr., 400-meter dash) all contributed to the Women’s team sixth place finish, out of eleven competing teams.

At the same meet, the men’s team also had an individual take home a first place finish in an event. Tyler Odom, freshman, threw the javelin thirteen feet farther than he had in just previous weeks.  Although, not a personal best of his, it seemed to be just far enough to edge his twelve competitors. The next thrower underneath Odom was about thirty feet less.  Paul Van Grinsven (Sr., 3000-meter steeplechase) and Matt Message (Jr., 800-meter run) each placed second in their respective events.  In addition to Message, Stout had two other individuals place in the 800-meter run, Mitch Freund (Sr.) and Henry Zold (Fr.). Taking home third place finishes were Christian Lucchesi (Fr.) and Kevin Salveson (Jr.) in pole vault and decathlon respectively. Salveson’s performance in the decathlon was a new personal best for him. In the heptathlon, Stout had two individuals place, with Logan Loeffler (So.) and Ethen Schoen (So.) took fourth and fifth.  Overall the men’s team placed fourth.

On Saturday, the men’s baseball team split games against opponent La Crosse after a close second game and lost both games on Sunday. Then 14-13, baseball will be traveled to Superior on Wednesday the 22nd in hopes of picking up a couple of more wins, but only managed to pick up one more. This past weekend, they hosted UW-Osh Kosh on both Saturday and Sunday, the 25th and 26th.  Unfortunately, Stout went 1-3 for the weekend.

The women’s softball team seemed to have had better luck against opponent UW-Stevens Point as they won both games. Game scores were 6-2 and 2-1. On Sunday against UW-Osh Kosh, Stout split the games. Game scores for these were 4-5 and 3-2. Stout had one of their last conference games of the season, in River Falls on Wednesday April 22.  Against River Falls Wednesday, Stout was unable to outcompete the opponent and walked away with a two game loss.  The game originally planned for Saturday the 25th was postponed to Monday the 27th.  The game will be held at UW-Superior and will officially be their last conference game of the season before they enter tournament play.

Photo Credit:  Layne Pitt

Camille is a sophomore at UW-Stout pursuing a degree in Dietetics and a minor in journalism.  Aside from writing for Her Campus, Camille is a member of the UW-Stout Women's Soccer team and part of the Navigators student ministry here on campus.  In addition to taking selfies with her dog and playing soccer, Camille enjoys watching videos of hedgehogs, chocolate-covered espresso beans, and anything that involves the great outdoors.
Her Campus at UW-Stout