Bands that Lost Members: A Tribute to Zayn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Crawling all over the media-sphere are young (lol and not so young) girls expressing how upset they are about One Direction’s Zayn leaving the beloved boy band. He said he left due to “exhaustion”, but recently released a solo song that we’re embarrassed to say we’ve be rockin out to. (Its’ actually super good, sorry 1D–  but be sure to check it out!)

What these tween girls don’t know, is that us Millenials are no stranger to heart-break from our favorite bands closing the curtain. *Cue Lauren Conrad’s famous black tear*

Let’s take a stroll back to the 20th Century, and reminisce on the times that all these awesome bands were one <3

1. First and formost is none other than Destiny’s Child.

Before the awesome trifecta of Lady B, Kelly, and Michelle, there were three other members that originated the band. Alongside Beyonce, LaTavia Roberson, LeToya Luckett and Farrah Franklin, were part of the awesome-foursome that created Girl’s Tyme (pre-DC), but left in 2000. Although Destiny’s Child rocked the R&B world, the band was done in 2005.

2. Backstreet Boys

Ugh. Still don’t think we’re over this one. Although the band is techincally still together, Kevin Richardson took a hiatus from the group in 2006, but rejoined in 2012. The band hasn’t been the same ever since– still waiting for that “huge” comback.

3. Spice Girls

Started in 1994, the Spice Girls were every girl’s aspiration (and maybe still are????). They combined pop-music with girl power and created catchy tunes that still get belt out to this day. Geri Halliwell, otherwise known as the firey red head nicknamed “Ginger Spice”, left the group in 1998 in hopes of creating a solo career. The band didn’t last long after her departure, and after a few failed comeback attempts, the Spice Girls movie “Spice World” on VHS of course, is all we have left to remember them by.

4.  N’SYNC

It’s practically impossible to imagine growing up without a little NSYNC in our lives.  Launched in 1995, this boy band stole our hearts and had us singing along from the beginning.  However, when Justin Timberlake got a taste of the solo stardom, the band wouldn’t ever be the same.  Even though their glory days are long gone, we still can’t find ourselves saying “Bye bye bye” to NSYNC quite yet.

5. The Beatles, who can easily be deemed the most influential music group in history called it quits after John Lennon wanted a taste of solo stardom. The Beatles  tried to keep it together, until Paul McCartney also decided to leave the band in 1970. You can actually catch Paul McCartney on tour this summer, one of his stops being at Lollapalooza!

6. New Kids on the Block originally had the wonderful Mark Wahlberg as a member, but he left NKOTB in hopes of becoming the next biggest rapper. career, Luckily for him his acting career proved to be much more prosperous.

7. Okay, we know this is a large transition from the Beatles, but a small part of us was pretty upset when Danity Kane broke up. They were the epitome of young of confidence and fans were able to watch them develop on P. Diddy’s Making the Band in 2005. Although they were admittantly a one-hit-wonder, Show Stopper is still a jam that will get us going. 

~~~Hair blowin’ in the breeze, yeah we supaa stars~~~

WE WANNA KNOW, who was the most devastating band break up for you???

Her Campus at UW-Stout