This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I don’t know anything about video games. My video game experience is pretty limited to playing Kim Possible on my Game Boy, Tennis on my Wii, and MVP Baseball on my PS2. All things that I’ve given up since middle school in favor of real world sports. But every boy I know wants to explain video games to me, so I’ve had to fake my way through conversations. If you’re like me, you’re trying to understand how Esports happened. And trying to understand what Discord is. Is Twitch no longer a verb? If you’re in this boat too, we’ll get through it together. I’ve compiled some tweets, and I’m gonna try to explain them with my next-to-zero gaming knowledge!

Animal Crossing

So Animal Crossing is a video game about managing a zoo? I’ve seen ads where people are playing on a handheld device, so maybe it’s for the 3DS. That’s like a fancy Game Boy. Animal Crossing has a new game coming out in a few weeks, and their fans are pretty passionate about it. I think it comes out at the same time as another popular game sequel, so things are getting pretty intense?

The Legend of Zelda

The Sonic movie came out recently, and was super popular. More popular than previous video game inspired movies like Jumangi, Rampange, and the Michael Fassbender one. Whenever a movie is popular, studios want to see if they can make a similiar movie with equal success. Legend of Zelda is a video game, and it’s important to note that the character in this video is actually Link. I guess they look similiar, and people get them confused?

NCAA

I think I’ve got this one down pretty well. NCAA is the National Collegiate Athletic Association. You hear about them a lot during March Madness and the debate over whether college athletes should be paid. There’s also a video game made by EA called Madden, which is about playing football as NFL players. This proposed game would essentially be like that, except on the collegiate level. 

The Witcher

Before it became a very successful series on NetflixThe Witcher was a video game! I assume with the same characters and plot? Henry Cavill not included. 

Mario

Similiar to the Legend of Zelda tweet, a lot of people believe that movie studios will be pushing more movies on video games due to Sonic‘s success. In the case of Mario though, there was an incredibly bad movie made in the 90’s about the famous plumbers. So second times a charm, right?

Controllers…maybe?

I think this one is about controllers, because a lot of them have buttons for A and B. Some controllers also have an X, Y, a box, and/or a circle. And the style and location of buttons can change a lot between companies and models. It probably gets confusing for people using an array of these controllers. 

Scrolling more through Twitter, and I have no idea what’s going on. There are limitless video games and video game companies out there, and best of luck to anyone trying to keep up!

Stephanie Zengler is a Business Administration major and Communication Studies minor, and she completely understands if you think her last name is actually Ziegler. Like a lot of business majors, Stephanie has a favorite Andrew Carnegie quote, and like a good communication minor, has very strong opinions on the Oxford comma. Aside from being a Stout student, Stephanie is an avid fan of Bay Area sports, Fleetwood Mac, and the amazingly perfect show Dollface.