Academy Awards 2015: Best and Worst Dressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Awards season elicits a certain level of excitement and hype. From the most retweeted selfie, embarrassing stumbles on staircases, and of course, the unique and inspiring fashion, there is always something to look forward to during the ceremonies. With the 87th annual Academy Awards taking place this Sunday there were the inevitable best and worst red carpet looks. Whether you are looking for some fashion inspiration or just love celebrities and pop culture, my top three best and worst dressed looks are perfect for you.

Best Dressed

Lupita Nyong’o

Let’s be honest, Lupita looks amazing in whatever she wears. She always brings her A-game for the Oscars, from the pale blue Prada gown last year to this year’s white Calvin Klein, she manages to look trendy and effortlessly elegant.

Cate Blanchett

Cate succeeds at wearing timeless and sophisticated garments. This black Maison Margiela Couture gown is no exception when paired with a statement necklace. Plus, she showed her support for John Galliano (creative director of Maison Martin Margiela), who has been disgraced by the industry for the last few years.

Emma Stone

In lieu of her recent film, Magic in the Moonlight, Stone drew inspiration from the 1920’s for her Oscars look with this gold Elie Saab Haute Couture slit gown. The styling was minimal but so effective in showcasing the intricate detailing of the gown.

Worst Dressed

Scarlett Johansson

The tailoring and structure to this dress is absolute perfection. However, the straps and neckline look awkward and unflattering on Johansson. Plus, the neckpiece is too heavy for the rest of the dress.

Lorelai Linklater

This gown has a strong 1990’s inspiration with the halter neckline and black and red lace. However, it looks tacky and sloppy in its construction. The different pieces are haphazardly sewn together and looks like a patchwork.

Solange Knowles

I love Solange just as much as anyone, however, this Christian Siriano garment does not work. It is such a conceptual and avant garde piece that it needs to have perfect tailoring to be pulled off. Unfortunately, she looks like she is drowning in it, which makes it seem like a Cirque du Soleil or dance costume.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout