stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Put Yourself First This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

It’s important to be able to have fun during school, but sometimes taking time off from assignments and jobs leads to a feeling of guilt. This list of tips is a good place to start by making time for yourself in ways that leave you feeling refreshed instead of guilty.

1. Say “yes” to things you’re hesitant about, but “no” to things you know you don’t want to do.

College is a great time to try new things, so be open to those possibilities by saying yes to activities that you’re unsure about. However, it is important to remember it’s okay to say no sometimes. You don’t need an excuse—”me time” is just as important as time spent with friends. Find the balance by going outside your comfort zone and trying new things, but knowing when it’s a no for you.

2. Try budgeting your time and setting rewards for when you meet your goals.

This can be especially difficult on the weekends when it’s easy to procrastinate. For me personally, I try doing just a little bit of homework on Friday afternoon, then aim to get my work done split equally between Saturday and Sunday. When I can stick to it, this system works really well, since my group of friends typically chooses Friday night to hang out.

3. Get approximately the same amount of sleep each weeknight.

Researchers typically recommend eight hours a night for most adults, but it’s also been found that keeping a sleep schedule can help you feel more awake. Even if eight hours doesn’t seem doable with your schedule, try to be consistent with the hours you do get. That being said, if you frequently get five hours of sleep or less, develop a sleep schedule that works for you. Who doesn’t love a nap?

4. Try reading for 15 minutes a day right before you go to bed.

It’s super cozy and a great way to ease yourself into sleep. As an avid reader, I often feel like I don’t have time to read during the school year, but just those 15 minutes each day really helps. If reading isn’t really your style, try something else that gets you away from your screen at the end of the day.

5. Eat healthy, but don’t beat yourself up for going greasy once in a while.

For those of us that live off campus, sometimes just eating an actual meal can be difficult. A bag of chips or some other junk food can end up taking the place of a meal. It’s better to eat a meal, even if it’s not the healthiest, than to replace your meals too often with snacking. For those of us in the dorms, eating a healthy meal can be challenging depending on what the cafeteria offers. My recommendation for eating healthy at school is to eat a variety of foods, choosing to eat different meals each week.

6. Watch an episode of your favorite TV show.

It can be a great way to clear your mind during a meal by yourself, while not feeling like you’re taking too much time away from working on your homework. I find a 20-minute episode to work perfectly with this, though longer shows still fit the idea.

7. Set aside 30-60 minutes once a week dedicated solely to that one thing you always wish you had more time for.

Try to have it at the same time every week so it becomes a habit. But if you have to move it around, don’t worry! It’s all about prioritizing that interest for a small chunk of time and making sure that time isn’t used for anything else.

Her Campus at UW-Stout