7 Bands You Should Be Listening To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

It can be hard to branch out and listen to new music when you know every word to every song your favorite bands have ever sang. So, I did the work for you and found seven amazing, lesser known bands worth listening to.

1. Misterwives

Misterwives, led by the incredible Mandy Lee, is everything you could ever want in an indie pop band. Their songs are fun, catchy, full of clever lyrics, and perfect for dancing! “Not Your Way” is a funky feminist anthem that will have you singing along in no time!

Also try: Vagabond, Twisted Tongue  

2. Vinyl Theatre

Milwaukee-born indie group Vinyl Theatre has gained a lot of national attention after touring with Twenty One Pilots in 2014, but those of us native to Milwaukee have been supporting them since the beginning.  “If You Say So” is an upbeat song that’s perfect for dancing!

Also try: The Island, Shine On

3. Welshly Arms

If you like Arctic Monkeys, you’ll love the Cleveland native blues rock band Welshly Arms. They’ve got a unique sound that isn’t too heavy, and an amazing stage presence.  “Legendary” is a powerful, inspirational rock anthem

Also try: The Touch, Dirty Work

4. Powers

My dad and I have very similar music tastes, and he’s actually the one who introduced me to Powers. They’re an amazing pop duo that toured with DNCE in 2015 that still aren’t getting the recognition they deserve. “Sunshine” is my favorite song; it’s a fun, feel-good track that never fails to brighten my day.  

Also try: Heavy, Legendary

5. Echosmith

You may know Echosmith for their popular single “Cool Kids,” but their entire discography is just as amazing. It’s impossible to feel anything other than happy when listening to “Bright,” a cute, bouncy love song.

Also try: Tell Her You Love Her, Let’s Love

6. STRFKR

STRFKR is a psychedelic indie electropop group influenced by The Flaming Lips and David Bowie. “Bury Us Alive” is a cool, laid back song that’s perfect for when you’re stuck inside on a rainy day. 

Also try: Their cover of Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Never Ever

7. Tame Impala

For fans of MGMT, 60’s reminiscent Australian indie rock band, Tame Impala, is for you. Their music is perfect for driving with the windows down on a summer night. “The Less I Know The Better” is a good introduction to their unique sound. 

Also try: Elephant, Let It Happen

All of these artists are on Spotify, and you can listen to most of their music on Youtube as well.

Sarah is a freshman in the Professional Communications program at UW-Stout. She hopes to work as a journalist after graduation. When she's not writing, she can be found reading true crime novels, hiking, or watching HGTV.
Her Campus at UW-Stout