6 Underrated Shows You Should Watch & Where to Find Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Binge watching has become one of the world’s favorite pastimes in recent years. However, something that challenges us all is finding what to watch. When you search it up, all that comes up is the popular shows that you’ve most likely already seen or heard so many times that you don’t want to even spend your time watching. That’s where I have come to the rescue to help suggest some shows that I feel are underrated and don’t have as much clout as they deserve!

Schitt’s Creek (via Netflix)

A comedy show that revolves around a once rich family finding themselves completely broke and living in the town that they once bought as a joke. The Rose family has to change their champagne-taste lifestyle into a beer-budget one. Rendered to a rundown hotel, the once spoiled family is forced to find a way to adapt to their new way of life.

This is one of my favorite shows. Created by father and son – Eugene and Daniel Levy, who also star as Johnny and David Rose – it’s sure to bring a laugh. There are currently four seasons that are on Netflix and the fifth began airing in January 2019 on the Pop network.

Light As A Feather (via Hulu)

Four tight best friends decide to invite the new girl, Violet, to hangout with them on Halloween night after a prank gone wrong that day. Violet suggests that they play the game Light As A Feather, Stiff As A Board, where she explains in explicit detail the way that each one of them dies – in which starts to happen exactly the way that Violet predicted.

This show gives me Pretty Little Liars vibes, which was one of my favorite shows. The suspense/mystery of it makes you want to keep watching. Not going to lie, I binged this entire series in just one day.

The Ranch (via Netflix)

Colt Bennett (Ashton Kutcher) makes his way back home after fifteen years of trying to pursue his football career. When he decides to go back to his hometown of Garrison, Colorado, Colt tries to insert his way back into the family dynamic and help his father Beau (Sam Elliot) run their family ranch.

This is another one of my favorite shows and also is a nice comic relief. There are plenty of That’s 70s Show alum that decide to make an appearance – such as Danny Masterson (Rooster Bennett), Wilmer Valderrama, Kurtwood Smith, and Debra Jo Rupp. It’s sure to make you laugh.

Atypical (via Netflix)

Sam is a teenager on the Autism spectrum and has made the decision that he’s ready for romance. Because of this, he will have to learn to become more independent and not rely on his family as much. The show follows the journey of the rest of his family members as they also adjust to Sam’s desire to change it up a little bit.

I started watching this show because I was bored and it looked interesting. It’s a really great show and I’m glad that I made the decision to watch it. While it does a good job displaying someone on the spectrum and how their lifestyle/family’s lifestyle is, it also provides quite a few elements of humor to make it a fun and not completely serious show.

Skin Wars (via Netflix)

This show takes twelve extremely talented body painters and has them compete in different challenges each week for a $100,000 prize. The judges are RuPaul, Craig Tracy, and Robin Barca Solnina.

There are only 3 seasons of it, but as someone who enjoys art, it’s amazing to see the talent these painters have and how they can create something so extravagant in such a short time frame.

Hoarders (via Hulu)

This show follows individuals that struggle with hoarding disorder. It gives a painful look as to what their life is like, often living in the middle of their mess. It shows the three day cleanup process, how it affects the hoarder and how it affects their family/friends.

I never used to like this show, but the more that I watched it, the more I started to get intrigued. Each story is so different. It’s appalling how these people live and how they survive.

I like cats, the Green Bay Packers, and One Direction. That's about it.
Her Campus at UW-Stout