alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Tips to Stay Safe at Summer Festivals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Summer is coming, which means that music festivals are on the way as well. A lot can happen at these crazy events, so here are some tips to stay safe while enjoying your time:

1. Buddy System

Always having a buddy is really important. It’s easy to get lost or forgotten if you don’t have someone with you. It’s always a good idea to have someone there that will try to help if you are in danger and vice versa. 

2. Watch Your Drink 

Festivals can be places predators use to drug victims. Always have an eye on your drink, along with the people you are there with, so no one slips something funny into it. Don’t take drinks from strangers either.

3. Dress Accordingly

Weather can be super hot or super cold. Getting overheated or hypothermic can cause health issues. Remember sunscreen on the hot days or a light jacket or sweatshirt on the colder ones.

4. Be Aware Of Your Surroundings

Don’t get distracted from the things going on around you. It’s easy to get lost in the crowd or separated from your friends. There are many bad things that can happen at festivals. But if you are surrounded by people you trust and know the area that you are in, you have less to worry about.

5. Stay Hydrated

The hot days can really take a toll on the body. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated, especially if you are consuming alcoholic beverages. Always pace yourself and know when enough is enough.

6. Chill Out and Take Breaks

The long days and nights of festivals can be overwhelming. Taking a break or chilling at the campsite for an hour is never a bad idea. The atmosphere, weather, and people can all take a toll. Always find a time to rehydrate and refresh.

Erika is a Professional Communications and Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout.  She hopes to find a career in journalism after graduation to continue her love for writing. She loves fashion, dancing, and sleeping.
Her Campus at UW-Stout