This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

True crime isn’t for everyone. However, if you can stomach some of the details, you’ll love following the stories of justice being served and killers being caught. True crime lovers delve into these cases and look for clues when investigators have all but stopped. Here are five podcasts that’ll have you hooked:

My Favorite Murder

You need to stop whatever you’re doing and give this podcast a listen. Hosted by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark, this podcast explores some of the most interesting cases with a comedic twist. The podcast consists of “Minisodes,” where the hosts read submitted stories from listeners, and feature true-crime stories from around the world. The pair also strive to normalize mental health issues by being open about them.

Up and Vanished

If you’re looking for a podcast that follows one case, look no further. The podcast, hosted by filmmaker Payne Lindsey, explores the disappearance of Tara Grinstead, a teacher and former beauty queen. After disappearing without a trace, the case has gone cold for 11 years. Lindsey explores the case and tries to solve the mystery. It’s exciting to listen to his in-depth investigation and his reports about the attention the podcast is receiving to help find Tara.

True Crime Historian

History buffs can find a niche in the true crime genre too. If you’re a lover of vintage and mysteries from years ago, this podcast is for you. Richard O James explores crimes from the past in his exploration of newspapers and files from years ago.

Someone Knows Something

Want to take a deeper look into unsolved crimes? Host, David Ridgen, dives into cold cases to explore mysteries of those whose killers are still not caught. He partners with family members to interview suspects and track down evidence to help bring the families peace.

The Serial Killer Podcast

Curious about the minds of these killers? Take a closer look at their childhoods, methods and how they got away with it. If you liked the Ted Bundy Tapes, you’re going to want to listen to this podcast. Learn what could make a person commit such horrific acts.

When in doubt, sleep with the lights on tonight. You might need it after listening to these tales.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout