5 Ridiculously Easy and Mouthwatering Late Night Snacks You Need To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

We’ve all been there when you’re laying in bed late at night and craving all sorts of goodies. I personally crave sweets, even knowing they aren’t the healthiest choice, late at night. However, life’s too short to not indulge once in a while. Although there are countless recipes out there nowadays of late night snacks, here are some of my personal favorite treats and recipes that I go for when I need a quick little midnight snack. All of these recipes are college tested and approved, so they are easy-peasy and absolutely delicious. No doubt they will have your mouth watering to try them!

1. Nutella Bagel

Ingredients:

• Nutella Spread (substitutions: peanut butter, cream cheese, jams/jellies)
  • Bagel of your choice

Directions:

1. Pull/cut the bagel in half and load into a toaster. Set the timing to the desired level of crispiness.
  2. Remove the bagel from the toaster and spread Nutella on top. Enjoy!

This is a personal favorite as a late-night snack or in the morning when I need a quick meal on the go. This is so easy that you could probably do it sleepwalking!

2. Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn

Ingredients:

• Popcorn
  • Chocolate (White, milk, and/or dark)

Directions:

1. Pop the popcorn in the microwave for the recommended time.
  2. Take the popcorn out and melt about a quarter cup of chocolate or however much you’d like to drizzle over popcorn.

I recommend adding toppings such as sprinkles, chopped nuts, or any other toppings to add some extra flavors and textures to this recipe. Make it your own and have fun with it!

3. Berry Smoothie

Ingredients:

• Fresh or frozen berries of your choice
  • Binder (milk, yogurt, ice cream, or dairy substitute)
  • Sugar (Optional)

Directions:

1. Wash and cut up fresh fruit and put into the blender (if using frozen fruit, simply put into the blender.
  2. Add a splash of desired binder (Use a little at first and add more to create desired texture; thick or runny)
  3. Put and seal the lid on firmly and gently pulse together ingredients until blended well.
  4. (Optional) Once blended, remove the lid and add a couple teaspoons of sugar and pulse once more to blend.
  5. Once incorporated, pour the smoothie into a glass and enjoy!

Smoothies can be good any time of the day (or night). I love to add strawberries and bananas to mine, but there are so many combinations out there, you could have a different flavor smoothie every night.

4. Peanut Butter Banana Bites

Ingredients:

• Peanut Butter (creamy or chunky)
  • Whole Banana
  • Melted chocolate (white, milk, or dark)

Directions:

1. Melt ½ cup of chocolate in the microwave for 20-30 increments at a time, stirring in between.
  2. Peel the banana and cut into about ½ inch slices.
  3. Spread about a tablespoon amount of peanut butter on one slice of banana and sandwich 2 slices of banana together.
  4. Dip the banana-peanut butter sandwich into the melted chocolate halfway or fully, then place on a plate or tray to cool.
  5. Enjoy right away or freeze for later!

If you’re looking for a bit of a “healthier” option, this one is great because bananas contain potassium and magnesium, and then the peanut butter has lots of great proteins and the chocolate, well… let’s just say that’s good for the soul!

Credit: Brittany Dixon

5. Cheesy Ramen Dip

Ingredients:

• Original Flavor Potato chips (ruffled or regular)
  • 1 packet of Ramen (any flavor, but I highly recommend Chicken flavor)
  • American cheese slices
  • Salt and pepper
  • Sriracha sauce
  • McCormick Grill Mates Mesquite Seasoning

Directions:

1. Follow directions on cooking ramen. (I recommend cooking ramen in a small/medium sized microwave safe container to allow room for other ingredients later.)
  2. Drain most but not all water leaving some to barely cover the bottom. This will help mix other ingredients in better later.
  3. Add in the packet of seasoning from the ramen.
  4. While still hot, add in slices of cheese to your desired cheesiness liking into the ramen mixing it in until its melted (if the cheese isn’t melting simply put it in the microwave for a couple of seconds or until melted), then remove from microwave. Be careful, it will be hot!
  5. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
  6. Add about a tablespoon of Sriracha (as little or as much as you’d like)
  7. Lastly, add a dash or two of McCormick Grill Mates Mesquite seasoning, or until your liking.
  8. Mix well and dip chips in.

I found this recipe from some friends experimenting with ramen and cheese to make a dip. It’s super easy and completely customizable! Not to mention you get a delicious taste of flavors from the ramen flavor, cheese, Sriracha, and seasonings. Give this one a try, I highly recommend it!All of these recipes are great as is but are able to be customized to cater to your own personal tastes. Add a dash of this and that to get your perfect combination. So no longer will you lay in bed burning for that midnight snack, instead, you can treat yourself to these delicious and insanely easy snacks. A wise person once said, “If we’re not meant to have midnight snacks, why is there a light in the fridge?”. So, go ahead and treat yourself. You’ve earned it.

Recipes developed by Liz Jacobson.

Hello! My name is Elizabeth Jacobson, but most people call me Liz for short. I am a sophomore this year at UW-Stout to get my Bachelors degree in Business Administration. I plan to have an emphasis in entrepreneurship so that after college I can pursue my dreams of owning my own store. I have a passion for writing. I love new ideas, meeting new people, and exploring different things in life. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout