5 Natural Ingredients to Get Thicker Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Personally, thin hair is something that I’ve always seemed to struggle with. Most products I’ve used that “claim” to make your hair thicker and fuller really don’t work at all. They tend to leave my hair feeling dirty and way too heavy. The below ingredients are common items that can be found nearly anywhere, especially in health food stores. Because they’re natural, you can use them as often as you need and you can feel good about what you’re doing to your hair. These remedies will also aid with hair loss, extreme breakage, and bald spots!

1. Jamaican Castor Oil

This is something that has been all over Pinterest lately. It comes from a flower and is used to help promote hair growth, strengthen hair follicles, and volumize thin hair. It has also been proven to help bald spots. For the best results, apply a small amount to your scalp and leave it in overnight. Use a gentle shampoo in the morning to get rid of any excess oil. Click here for an in-depth article about this oil, as well as helpful tips on how to use it.

2. Coconut Milk

I’ve used coconut oil in the past. It did make my hair softer, but it also made it greasy and extremely heavy for days. Several washes later and it was still in the same condition. As far as making it thicker, it didn’t really work as well as I thought it would. However, using coconut milk instead of the oil is a great alternative that gives even more benefits. It’s rich in potassium, protein, and iron to help not only make your hair thicker, but also fight hair loss and breakage. To use this, apply to your hair and leave it in overnight. Rinse your hair in the morning with cool water.

3. Rosemary

Rosemary has been proven to be one of the best solutions for hair thickness and fighting bald spots. Add a few drops of rosemary oil to your conditioner, or just use it by itself. It will naturally plump up thin strands and leave your hair not only healthier but much fuller.

4. Apples

Apples are extremely high in antioxidants. In fact, a recent study found that apples generated new hair growth in 70 percent of men ages 21 through 29. This also works for women as well. Puree some apples into a mask and apply to your hair. Use this method once a week to see serious results.

5. Avocados

This fruit (yes, it is a fruit) has been proven to help thicken hair quickly as well as stimulate growth. Do this by creating an easy mask. Just mash one avocado along with a banana and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Combine all of the ingredients and massage the blend onto your scalp and tresses for about 30 minutes. Wash out with a gentle cleaner and feel the difference!

Her Campus at UW-Stout