Culture > News

5 Inspirational Women Taking Office After the General Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

The 2018 General Election was one for the history books. In addition to electing the first gay man as congressman, many women were making history this election. Here are five inspiring women taking office.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

At 29 years old, Ocasio-Cortez became the youngest woman in American history to hold a seat in Congress. After the death of her father in 2008 in the midst of the Great Recession, New York’s 14 congressional district elect began working 18 hour days to help support her family. She strives to advocate for those struggling to make ends meet.

Ilhan Omar

Omar, who became the first Somali-American legislator, is now also one of the two first Muslim women elected to Congress. Representing Minnesota’s fifth congressional district, she is the first Muslim former refugee and woman of color to serve as a U.S. Representative from Minnesota.

Rashida Tlaib

Tlaib, Michigan’s 13th district congressional elect, also made history as the first Muslim woman elected to Congress. She is also the first Muslim woman to be elected to any U.S. legislature in history.

Sharice Davids

As the elect for the 3rd congressional district in Kansas, Davids is one of the two first Native American women elected to Congress and the first lesbian Native American Congresswoman. The daughter of a single Army veteran mother, Davids was a White House Fellow during the Obama-Trump transition. She is a member of Ho-Chunk Nation, based in Wisconsin. Fun fact: she’s also a former MMA fighter.

Deb Haaland

Haaland is also the first Native American woman elected to Congress. From New Mexico’s 1st congressional district, Haaland is a member of Pueblo of Laguna and former chair of the New Mexico democratic party. She aims to advocate for Native American representation, especially when it comes to environmental and economic issues.

We’re excited to see all the amazing things these women do in their new positions as leaders in the U.S.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout