5 Apartment Hunting Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Apartment hunting after living with your parents or in a dorm can be a shocking transition. If you’re not sure where to start or what to look for, just follow these tips and you will find your footing!

1. Best friends do not neccesarily make the best roommates.

Before you eagerly accept your friend’s offer to move in together, take a close look at your living habits. One of you might be a lot more organized, more protective of your possessions, or less likely to be able to pay rent on time. These differences might not be a big deal as just friends, but as roommates they may cause a lot of conflict.

2. Make a list of what is most important to you.

Would you rather live in a nicer neighborhood, or have cheaper rent? Would you rather have a larger bedroom with a walk-in closet, or a nicer kitchen with a dishwasher? Prioritize what you would like the most for your apartment, since you might not find one that has everything.

3. Ask which utilities are included.

You may experience sticker shock when you come across an apartment that seems to have an outrageous monthly rent, but it may have every utility included that you can think of. On the other hand, you may come across one that seems to be really cheap, but doesn’t even include the basics. The main extra expenses you will encounter are electricity, heat, water, lawn care, parking, and internet.

4. Talk to the current tenants.

After viewing the apartment, ask the current tenants how they like living there. You might get an amazing apartment, but if the landlord takes forever to follow up on maintenance requests or the neighborhood is shady, it will be more stressful than it’s worth.

5. Take a close look at the lease.

If your landlord doesn’t read through it with you, make sure you read through the entire lease by yourself before signing it. You may come across something surprising, like restrictions on decorating. Also make sure to think in the long-term. Don’t sign a year-long lease if you might be changing careers soon, and don’t sign one that has a strict no pet policy if you’re thinking about getting one.

I'm a Criminal Justice and Rehabilitation major at the University of Wisconsin - Stout who enjoys dancing, thought-provoking movies, and anything that involves zombies.
Her Campus at UW-Stout