4 Reasons To Try Adult Coloring Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Adult coloring books are a concept that have taken off in 2015 and continued into 2016. While they’re similar to your standard “Spongebob Squarepants” coloring book, they are a little bit more complex and have a lot of intricate designs that will require a lot more focus and attention to detail. Publishing companies that print adult coloring books are having problems printing enough copies to keep customers satisfied.  This trend isn’t happening for no reason and here’s four reasons why!

1. It’s Therapeutic

Art therapy has been proven to be an affective way to reduce stress and anxiety. Many therapists have been suggesting these coloring books as a substitute or in addition to journaling.  Another big factor that make these so popular is the element of choice and personal expression. Coloring is similar to doodling, but without the intimidation of a blank canvas. Since being an adult doesn’t allow you a lot of choice in your everyday life, this gives that satisfaction.

2. It Brings Out Your Inner Child

It’s a great way to sneak in “fun” in a world that has become so serious. Adults can’t often afford the time to have fun in between 40-hour workweeks, college classes, and other responsibilities. Not to mention it’s a super satisfying feeling to put hard work into something as simple as a coloring book page while still producing a beautiful outcome.   

It’s also a great way for parents to relax with their kids. While kids sit and color, they can bond over doing the same activity and show each other their outcomes. It lets you reminisce about the childhood days of being carefree and simplistic nature. Marketers often refer to this group of adults as the “Peter Pan Group”.

3. It’s Affordable

Adult coloring books are fairly inexpensive. Coloring books at Target run for about ten dollars or less, and crayons are around five (depending if you want the 64 pack of crayons or the 152 pack with the built in sharpener.)

4. It Exercises Your Brain

Coloring is a great creative outlet, and it’s more stimulating for your brain than blankly staring at your TV screen while watching endless episodes of “The Office” or “Grey’s Anatomy.” It’s not harmful to your eyes, and it’s a great way to unplug from technology, seeing as these days everything is on some sort of screen. If you really can’t get yourself to disconnect from your digital device, but you still want to engage in the coloring craze, they do have some free coloring book apps you can download.

Here is one of my lovely pages from Winter Break!

I myself have also participated in this trend in between my classes and homework. Based on how this has benefited me, I think college kids especially should try this relaxing activity! My most recent discovery was a Harry Potter coloring book, which I ordered as soon as I found. My other personal favorite was “The Swear Word Coloring Book”, which has a vulgar word and lots of cute patterns on every page! They have a coloring book for everyone out there, so get out there and make some stress free art!

Kelly is a sophomore at The University of Wisconsin - Stout studying Cross Media Graphics Management, and planning on minoring in Marketing. She is a tattoo and piercing enthusiast who loves sports, binge watching netflix, and staying fit. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout