4 Places to Volunteer This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

With the holidays fast approaching, it is easy to get consumed with thoughts of family and work obligations. Whether you are sticking around for the holidays or heading home, consider spending a few hours volunteering with some of these local organizations. Volunteering is a great way to give back to your communities while making new friends and, of course, building connections that may benefit you after you graduate. Not to mention, volunteering has some proven physical and mental health benefits. Here are four popular organizations that are always in need of volunteers:

Animal Shelters:

Animal shelters can be found in almost every community. There are so many great benefits to volunteering with animals. In my opinion, the best way to get steps in on your Fit Bit is by walking loveable shelter dogs! Check out the Humane Society‘s website for info on how to get started. 

Food Shelves:

It is very likley that your community has a food shelf. Since these organizations benefit the community year-round, they are always in need of volunteers. Check out Feeding America for one in your area!  

Red Cross:  Although Red Cross is associated with giving blood, there are many more volunteer opportunities in store if you are not a fan of needles. Check out their website to find something that interests you!

Retirement Homes:

It is somewhat easy to get involved volunteering at a retirement home- there are always a variety of activities going on. Volunteering at a retirement home is also extremely rewarding and definitely worth your time!

It is important to remember when volunteering that it’s a great oportunity to make connections when looking for a job after graduation. There are multiple facets to every organization that look for prospective employees, and volunteering is a great way to start the journey to securing a job. 

Vanessa studies Early Childhood Education at the University of Wisconsin- Stout. She hails from southeastern Minnesota and currently lives with her fiance in Wisconsin. She is the proud dog mom of 2 fur babies, Marley and Daisy.
Her Campus at UW-Stout