Here at Her Campus U Wisconsin – Stout, we are all about bettering ourselves and the lives of others. So when I came across a blog post that was titled “60 Little Tips That Can Change A Girl’s Life” I was automatically drawn in. After reading the article I found that most of the tips were really helpful. So here are, in my opinion, the top 18 little tips that can change a girls life.
1. “Download a banking app:” doing this will help you manage your spending habits so much! I have the app Spending Tracker and I make up my own categories and it keeps track of how much money I have spent in each of those categories. While it may not help your spending habits, I know online shopping gets the best of each of us, so it will definitely make you more aware of them, and maybe eventually you’ll start to cut back a little.
2. “Check out thrift stores:” yes, yes, yes, a million times yes! While it may take a few washes to get the grandma smell out, you will save a ton of money and stand out in a crowd with your amazing, vintage chic attire!
3. “Don’t chase boys:” don’t be one of those girls that is stuck on that one guy despite your friends telling you over and over again to move on. If he doesn’t show interest, he’s not worth it. Every girl is deserving of a guy that will give her the world and more! Yes, it’s okay to start conversations here and there but don’t go overboard, trust me, you’ll know if he’s interested. Even if he isn’t interested, it’s okay! There are plenty of great guys out there that will love you for you.
4. “Get running shoes that are effective, not just cute:” I know we all want to look great while working out, but that’s not what you’re there to do. Everyone at the gym is going to be sweaty and gross, so it’s okay to get sweaty and gross. Therefore, buy shoes that work best for your body and what you’re trying to achieve, not because they’re hot pink and have cheetah print on them.
5. “Buy your wine from a box, it’s more cost effective and being ‘wine classy’ is over rated:” you’re not 40-years-old at a fine dining restaurant, who cares where it comes from as long as it tastes good right?
6. “Make a summer playlist for when you walk in the cold and start to be sad:” winters in Wisconsin can be brutal to say the least, so make a playlist with your favorite summer jams and rock out on your way to class, it’s sure to brighten your day despite the gloomy weather.
7. “Realize that you can pull of red lipstick:” first off, who said only some people can pull of red lipstick?! As long as you have confidence, you can pull of anything! Walk this world like it’s your runway and you’re the star!
8. “Never try dieting pills or fads, it’s all garbage, just be healthy:” never, ever, ever do those fasting diets, or liquid diets because being skinny is never worth your health. As long as you eat healthy and exercise regularly you are good to go!
9. “Forget brand names:” when you’re in college, no one is going to care if you have brand name clothing or not. Everyone is broke, and isn’t going to be paying attention to what kind of clothes you’re wearing, sorry!
10. “Ask for a white coat under the color when you get your nails done, it makes the color more vibrant:” who doesn’t love an extra pop of color to your nails! Who knew a simple coat of white could make a difference to your fabulous manicure?
11. “Always try on clothing before you buy it:” despite what you may think is the correct size, not everything fits the same. Save yourself the time and try it on before buying it and make sure you like it and that it fits you!
12. “Get a microwaveable heating pad:” this will save your life when you are at that time of the month. If you don’t have a microwaveable heating pad, but have a regular heating pad, it will work just the same!
13. “Drink as much water as humanly possible:” drinking a lot of water daily can increase your energy, promote weight loss, flush out toxins, improve skin complexion and provide other benefits, so drink up ladies!
14. “Ben and Jerry’s will be your best friend during a break up:” it’s not only okay during a break up but for finals, a rough week, or any other situation that causes stress or sadness in your life. Never let anyone tell you that indulging is bad, because they’re wrong, just don’t go too crazy.
15. “Exercise when you’re stressed out:” I know this totally goes against what I just said, but it’s true! According to the Mayo Clinic, working out while you’re stressed pumps up endorphins, improves your mood, and is essentially meditation in motion, because you have forgotten about what’s stressing you out and started focusing on your body’s movements.
16. “You can never have too many pairs of underwear:” have you had those days where you have on your favorite pair of underwear and you just know it’s going to be a good day? Exactly! So have as many good underwear days as you can!
17. “Look natural in photos:” don’t try too hard in pictures, because you can tell. Don’t have a forced, awkward smile; just be yourself because you’re most beautiful that way.
18. “Get your beauty sleep:” despite what may be going in your life, whether it be finals, a break up, or just life, nothing is that important that you need to stress yourself out further by ignoring sleep. So put down the homework, laptop, phone, or whatever it is and get some good quality sleep.
Check out the full blog with all 60 tips here!