free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Things I Wish I Would Have Known in College (at UW-Stout)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I graduate on Saturday, May 10 and I have so much to say. It seems like the blink of an eye since I was in high school, stumbling in heels during prom or embarrassing myself in front of my crush at football games. Go Rockets!

Now I only get “dressed up” on the rare occasion that my roommates and I plan to end up at Rehab to get down and dirty—“turn down for what?”—and my equivalent to a “crush” comes in an orange can. What boyfriend? He’s virtual.

If only I would have known as a freshmen:

1. Begin interning at the age of 7 (Okay, technically that’s before college—but you get it.)

The reason I say this is because the two internships I took in college taught me more than any textbook could have throughout my four years. The networking and real-life experience you get is more valuable than money (which is what I learned by taking an unpaid internship).

That’s right.

2. Use Ratemyprofessor.com!

For those of you who don’t know about the site… this will explain why your friends got “easy” professors they loved, while you sat in the back of class crying. Look your professor up before registering for courses. And look for the pepper, which means the professor is a hottie!

…like this guy.

3. Don’t sweat your appearance—just wear sweats!

You know, there is A LOT to be said about dressing up and feeling good to take a test. But there’s also a lot of talk about freshmen wearing mini skirts to class in the middle of a blizzard in January—ridiculous. Your college years are the last time you will be able to wake up and throw on comfortable clothes. No matter how “informal” your future job may be—sweatpants are NOT acceptable. Wear them while you can.

4. Don’t be so quick to choose your major. (Parents, I know you won’t like this one… so stop reading). 

I came to UW-Stout gung-ho for apparel design program and—when I realized it wasn’t for me—I almost didn’t change my major for the fear that I might never graduate! Here is the reality people: the average college student changes their major 3 times before graduating. And to make you feel better, I changed my major and added a minor and will still be graduating in four years. It can be done!

5. Network with professors. (We have an advantage being at Stout, people!)

Professors can and will know you by name if you play your cards right. As a graduating senior, I have 15 excellent references and at least half of them are professors with great connections to potential jobs. When you’re spending $60,000 or more on college, you might as use your connections to your advantage.

6. Further your education.

As a senior, I’m regretting not taking the time to learn even more. I was so eager to get out in 4 years that I didn’t realize the other career paths I was interested in. Consider double-majoring or picking up a minor if you’re passionate in more than one area. Any further education beyond your bachelor’s degree will set your resume apart from hundreds of other applicants. Yes people, the real world is competitive, but…

7. Study abroad: take a break before you burn out. I took an 11-day faculty-led trip to the Galapagos Islands during Winterm my junior year. Eleven days was nowhere near enough, but I learned valuable lessons, made outstanding friends I share a bond with, and added global perspective to my resume. Most importantly, it was the refresher I needed to come back to Stout with motivation for the semester.

Don’t let it get to this point…

8. Find Career Services.

For the innocent souls who haven’t found the place yet, it’s located at 103 Administration Building (the squatty one next to the clock tower). The Career Services crew will help you draft a resume and cover letter for the Career Conference, find an internship or full-time job, and interview you so you’re ready for your first impression with your dream company. The only thing they can’t do is help you fix your dorm bed.

9. WOW your interviewer.

There will be a day (or what seems like a million days) that you spend applying for internships and jobs. Take it from me—I applied for upwards of 30 internships! Regardless, it is sooo exciting when you finally get a call back for an interview. Take that opportunity to wow them. How? Any little thing will work—you just need to get a little creative.

10. Volunteer for real-life experience.

Several senior capstone courses require students to work with real clients. Through my experience with this, I have built lasting relationships (and even been offered a full-time position). I wish I would have gone out of my way to ask local companies if they needed my help for design, writing, etc. throughout my college career. The work may not be paid, but that “real life” experience on your resume is something employers drool over.

Who wants the experience?

Alex is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout majoring in Professional Communication and Emerging Media--with an emphasis in Journalism and a minor in Photography. With a love for communication and networking, she serves as the Campus Outreach Director for UW-Stout's Her Campus chapter, connecting the new chapter with other organizations and events on campus. Her love for photography and writing have come together over the years with: freelance photography through her business Flourishing Photography; interning with C Cali Style magazine in Santa Monica, Ca.; interning with Chloe Atnip Photography in Tustin, Ca. shooting weddings; working with Stoutonia newspaper; Fashion, Art, and Beauty magazine on campus; and interviewing several people over the years in attempt to share their unique stories.
Her Campus at UW-Stout