This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Spring has finally arrived at Stout! Have you nearly gotten run over by a long boarder or hit by a Frisbee recently? Campus seems to come back to life in the spring after students have been cooped up in the dorms all winter long.  There are so many fun things to do in Menomonie and with only a few weeks left of school, it’s time to get outside.  Here are a few of our favorite ideas!

Hike Hoffman Hills- Hoffman Hills State Recreation Area is a short drive from Menomonie and offers restored wooded hills, wetlands and prairie great for hiking.  There is a 60-foot-high observation tower that overlooks Dunn County so make sure to bring your camera! 

Wing Wednesday at the Waterfront Bar and Grill– Finding a spot to sit can get tricky but the .50-cent wings are totally worth it!  Enjoy the large outdoor deck with a great view of Lake Menomin. 

Walk the Red Cedar Trail- Walk, jog or bike the 14.5-mile trail that parallels the Red Cedar River.  The views of sandstone bluffs and the river are beautiful.  This is also a great spot to pack a picnic or bring a book! 

Play sand volleyball- With five sand volleyball courts to choose from on South Campus alone, go join in on a game of volleyball.  It is a great way to get some exercise, a tan and meet new friends!

Treat yourself to Cherry Berry- After being in the sun all day treat yourself to some frozen yogurt at the new Cherry Berry that recently opened in Menomonie.  You can go crazy with the endless flavors and toppings to choose from. 

Visit the Humane Society- Missing you pet at home?  Head to the Dunn County Humane Society (just past the Red Cedar Trail) for your dog or cat fix.  Also, if you become a volunteer you can take the dogs for walks!  Find more information and hours here.

Go to a Stout sporting event- Go support the Blue Devils track and field team, golf team, girls softball team and boys baseball team.  Find their schedule here.

Explore Devil’s Punchbowl- Devil’s Punchbowl is a small natural canyon that is especially popular in the winter because of it’s ice formations but is beautiful in the spring too.  Several websites claim that the Devil’s Punchbowl is haunted and “Orb” sightings have also been reported but no extensive research has been conducted. 

Have a cook out- Grab a group of friends and pick up some burgers, hot dogs, chips and s’more materials and have a cook out!  Bring a Frisbee or a football to pass around while you wait. 

Study (or nap) outside-Spread out a blanket or claim a picnic table on the lawn and work on homework, study for exams, or just relax and soak up the sun! 

My name is Rachel Kolias and I am from St. Paul, Minnesota. I am a junior at UW- Stout studying Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism. I am a dedicated tea drinker, yogi, Lindy Hopper, musician, blogger and dog lover.
Her Campus at UW-Stout