This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

It’s that time of the year when carved pumpkins are glowing on porches and leaves are scattered on the sidewalk. In this chilly weather, sometimes the best thing to do is stay in and watch a movie. Whether you’re a horror movie fanatic or would rather watch a feel-good family film, here are ten movies to get you in the Halloween spirit.

1. Hocus Pocus

It’s no wonder that this movie is a Halloween classic. Follow Max, his little sister Dani, and their friend Allison as they try to stop three evil witches from becoming immortal with the help of Thackery Binx, a teenager who was turned into a cat by the witches. 

2. Halloweentown

Another classic for reminiscing over your childhood, this Disney Channel movie features siblings, Marnie, Dylan, and Sophie, whose mother discourages her children from participating in Halloween festivities. Their grandmother, played by Debbie Reynolds, visits and reveals to Marnie that she is a witch. The siblings travel to Halloweentown with their grandmother to stop an evil force from destroying the town.

3. Harry Potter

Whether you’re a self-declared Potterhead who wears their house colors with pride, or have never even seen one of the movies, you’re going to love following the adventures of Harry Potter and his friends, Ron and Hermoine. Harry, who’s forced to live with his cruel relatives after the death of his parents, discovers that he is a wizard and begins school at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where he battles Voldemort to save the wizarding world. Watch one movie- or have an all-out Harry Potter movie marathon.

4. The Babadook 

The plot follows a mother, grieving the death of her husband and son, who insists that the monster from a storybook is in their house. The Babadook has also been making headlines earlier this year as an icon in the LGBTQ+ community after a screenshot from tumblr showed the film sorted into the LGBT category on Netflix. The Babadook has even had some appearances in gay pride parades!

5. It (2017)

This film was one of 2017’s biggest movies, so don’t be surprised if you see at least one Pennywise costume this Halloween. Based on Stephen King’s novel about a clown who hunts children, the 2017 remake of the 1990 film will keep you awake with nightmares (and maybe give you a fear of clowns too). 

6. Ghost Busters

After a group of three parapsychologists are fired from their university, they are joined by a fourth member and team up to form the Ghostbusters. The Ghostbusters aid the city in removing spirits who have descended on Manhattan. The movie was remade in 2016 with a hilarious all-female cast. No matter which version of the film you watch, it’s sure to have you laughing!

7. Scream

Inspired by horror films, a killer targets a high school girl and her friends a year after her mother is murdered. The residents of the town try to discover the identity of the killer, known as Ghostface. The movie isn’t just scary, but you may also find yourself laughing as the characters discuss horror movie cliches.

8. The Addams Family

The Addams family members not only inspired a beloved film, but also a song you should definitely have on your Halloween party playlist. A con-artist appears at the family’s home, claiming to be the father’s estranged brother. After being evicted from their home, the Addams must find a way to reclaim their estate.

9. The Craft

The Craft mixes your standard high school outcast movie with the horror genre. Sarah, who has telekinetic powers, transfers to a high school in Los Angeles and befriends a group of three girls who practice witchcraft. The girls believe that she completes their coven and they begin casting spells and curses on others around them. One of the girls quickly becomes hungry for power and tries to encourage the other three to join her.

10. Casper

If you’re looking for a feel-good Halloween film to balance out all those horror movies, Casper may be just what you’re looking for. Based on the comic character, Casper the Friendly Ghost, this live-action film features a young girl named Carrigan whose mother has just passed away. She leaves her her manor, which is haunted by three mischievous ghosts and Casper, who befriends the girl. Together, the pair deal with a mean girl from Carrigan’s school and uncover Casper’s mysterious past.

If you need a relaxing October night and want a movie to get you in the Halloween mood, just curl up in a blanket, bake some snacks, and pop in one of these films!

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout