Winter Outfit Ideas When You Don’t Know What To Wear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

We all look forward to the holidays: a break from reality, copious amounts of comfort food, our favorite sports’ team playing on tv, glasses of wine in hand, being with our favorite people, and let’s not forget to mention the incredible naps. However with all that being said, we must acknowledge how chaotic and stressful this time can be too. Keeping scrolling to find some outfit inspiration for your next holiday party or winter date night. Remember, you don’t need to sacrifice your comfort or time to look cute this winter!

1.) Poncho Babe

There’s no denying winter can get cold, so stay warm this year with a warm and cozy poncho. Pair this look with a dark pair of jeans and finish with your favorite pair of booties. You can dress up this look with a turtleneck or some fun jewelry. If you’re feeling festive, try doing a bold lip color.

2.) She’s so Classic 

You can never go wrong with this classic look—sweater, jeans, and a tall pair of boots. This fall/winter outfit is the perfect mix of cute and comfort. Elevate the look with a flannel underneath or doing a fun updo.

3.) Skirt-y Fun

If you feel like finally pulling out that cute new skirt you bought a while back, look no further. Take your printed skirt and pair it with a neutral colored sweater. If you have a solid colored skirt, no worries—put it with patterned tights for an extra pop.

4.) Sleek and Sporty

Rocking a vest never disappoints. This well put together look checks all the boxes: warmth, comfort, and extra pockets. Dress it up with a pair of dangly earrings or neutral colored boots.

5.) Girly Chic

This outfit means business—there’s nothing like a cute but comfy pair of pants to get the job done. Transform this summer inspired outfit into a fall one with a jean or leather jacket. Throw some relaxed curls into the mix for a more fun look.

6.) Fabulous and Fuzzy

Whether you’re on board with this new fad or not, there’s no denying how cozy these sweaters are. Throw a plain shirt underneath and ripped jeans to match—it will give a cool mix of textures. Find a statement necklace and a pair of flats to finish this outfit.

7.) Bomber Bombshell

Looking for something with a bit more edge for the holidays? Find a corduroy, button up skirt, a leather jacket, and some black tights to rock this outfit. To complete this classy (almost) all black look, throw a black or dark shirt under your jacket. If the buttons on your skirt are gold, play up on the gold accessories—if they’re silver, use silver. 

8.) Dress it Up

“Aren’t you dressed up?” No, I just don’t like wearing pants. Nothing fakes effort like a simple cotton dress and a patterned scarf. Add a pair of knee-high boots and some curls into your hair for an easy look. You may even be able to eat seconds or thirds on grandma’s pie with the freedom a dress allows you.

9.) Overalls for the Win

Winterize your overalls with a warm sweater underneath! Play them up with a fun necklace or your favorite pair of glasses.