This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

One of the many things I love about college is that there is always something going on and something else you can get involved in. There are so many different clubs, activities and a ton of other opportunities here at UW-La Crosse to get involved in. One of the things I definitely think every student here at UWL should take advantage of at some point in their college career here is joining an intramural team. There are so many different perks and advantages that can come out of playing an intramural sport. It’s good for your physical health and also your mental health! Everyone, go sign up for an intramural today. Here are just some of the benefits why: 

1. Spend time with your friends— With everything going on at the end of the semester, it gets so hard to juggle everything. You want to spend as much time as you can with your friends while you can, but you also have a bunch of other things to do. Playing an intramural sport is the perfect way to get some time with your friends while still giving you plenty of time to do the other things you need to do.

2. De-stress—Intramural sports are so laid back and are the perfect way to forget all your responsibilities for a while and just enjoy some friendly competition with your friends.

3. Meet new people—If you’re looking to meet new people, playing an intramural sport is the perfect way!

4. Get exercise—If you can’t seem to find time to hit the gym, or maybe the gym just isn’t your style of working out, playing an intramural sport is the perfect way to get a lot of exercise in, all while having a good time.

5. Try something new without competition—If you’ve always wanted to try playing basketball or softball, for example, this is your perfect opportunity to try them out without any tryouts or any pressure to be good.

6.  Enjoy the weather—With the weather starting to warm up, playing an intramural sport is the perfect way to take advantage of the weather and get outside and out of your dorm/house!

7. There are so many different options—Here at UWL there are many different intramural sports that are offered. Just to name a few of the common ones that are offered, there’s volleyball, soccer, basketball, softball and tennis, but then there are also a lot of different ones that a UWL student wouldn’t really think of like: bag toss, golf scramble, futsal or big base kickball. The point is, there are a lot of different options out there so that you can find something that you will love!

Sarah Mueller is a senior majoring in Organizational and Professional Communication and minoring in Professional Writing. She loves to write, run, and do yoga in her free time. Follow her on instagram: sarah_muelller