This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

If you’re an avid Netflix binge watcher or love to curl up with a good book, you know that learning the stories of fictional characters often provides a much needed escape from reality. One of the most recent Netflix Original Series titled Emily in Paris does just this exact thing. With all going on in the world at the moment, this is the perfect show to lose yourself in. 

The story follows a young woman named Emily, played by Lily Collins, who works for a Marketing firm in Chicago. Her mentor at the firm is planning to travel to Paris and work for the branch of the company located there when an unexpected surprise interrupts her plans. This leaves Emily being offered the spot to work in Paris. Emily—clueless on anything relating to the city of romance—makes the decision to leave her life in Chicago behind and begin a new life in Paris. Each episode creates its own drama, shows the process of adjusting to a whole new city, and boasts the beauty of Paris. 

Not only does each episode allow viewers to feel as if they are on a sightseeing tour of the city, but it also gives viewers insight onto the day-to-day life of a young social media blogger. Emily starts a blog on the show that provides her audience an inside view of not only Paris, but the amazing outfits she wears each day. The style portrayed on this show is what is best described as elegant street style. Lily Collins’ character on the show has a wardrobe of colorful jackets, cute skirts, and fun tops that truly add to the enchantment of the show. 

YSL, Prada, Chanel
Photo by Laura Chouette from Unsplash

The blog Emily starts is also beneficial for giving insight on her career. Emily works with many important names in France and is able to positively brand not only the company she works for, but also herself. This aspect of the show is what is really intriguing because it gives audience members a powerful, hardworking woman to idolize. 

Living through a pandemic is something that has sadly become a reality for everyone. Watching Emily in Paris gives us a way to feel like we’re vacationing in Europe, seeing beautiful sights, and living the life of a woman who embodies the idea of girl-power. This show may save you from the quarantine blues, but warning, it may also make you want to drop everything and move to Paris (Chanel bags not included). 

Hello! My name is Chloe Renzelmann and I am a freshman at UW-Lax. I will be majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Communications. When I'm not in class or writing, you can probably find me watching reality tv or working out!