This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

This past weekend, I had the chance to go see WALK THE MOON for my second time at the Orpheum Theatre in Madison. It was hands down the best concert I’ve ever been too. 

One of the things I loved so much was the venue. The Orpheum was beautiful, ornate, and small enough to really give the concert a special vibe. I’ve been to Summerfest, and I’ve seen concerts at huge stadiums, and they don’t compare to small venues. There’s nothing like being packed into a general admission floor with people who are truly dedicated to the musicians rather than just tagging along because some group is performing on a big stage.

So, if you really care about the music, go to a smaller venue. Some artists have reached a level of recognition at which it’s not possible to see them at a smaller venue, but if you have the chance, take it. You never know when that band you love is going to get popular enough that you won’t be able to buy general admission tickets some day. 

An added bonus of a small venue–you’re WAY closer to the band, and the acoustics are awesome. 

This picture from the concert isn’t zoomed in at all, and I’m practically on the same level as the band. It was so surreal. There’s something about a small venue–a sense of community with the other concert-goers, the closeness to the band, the sound. What I’m saying is if you have the chance, take it.

Go see a concert and dance your heart out while you’re young.

Rachel is an English major and Graphic Design minor at UW-La Crosse, with a serious case of wanderlust. Her time is spent writing, drinking coffee, hiking, discussing Harry Potter, and being distracted by the sky.