What ‘Sex Week’ is Really About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

On the surface, Sex Week has gotten the reputation mimicking “do a little dance, make a little love” and…well, you know the rest. However, UW-La Crosse Sex Week doesn’t encourage or discourage sex. Rather, it aims to provide information about sex safety and create an open-door-policy atmosphere that encourages discussion on different sex topics. Sex shouldn’t be something to be embarrassed about. It’s a natural human instinct, but it has a stigma attached to it. It’s a don’t-ask-don’t-tell kind of thing. But how do we learn about it if we don’t ask about it? UWL Sex Week offers students opportunities to ask questions about sexuality, STDs, dating and casual sex and whatever else they want to know more about. It’s important to be informed about these topics and issues, especially when it comes to sex health and safety. Sex can be both physically and emotionally damaging if you are not careful.

So, as we wrap up Sex Week here at UWL here are a few things to remember.

1. Other students aren’t having as much sex as you think they are.

Especially if you’re not in a relationship, it’s normal not to have sex. There’s nothing wrong with the casual hook up and one night stand, but it doesn’t happen as much as you think it does, and it’s not something you should feel you’re missing out on. If you are going to casually hook up with someone, make sure that you are taking safety precautions. Otherwise, waiting for someone special to do the deed with is absolutely normal and a lot of girls (and guys!) feel this way, too!

2. Everyone’s Yoohoo is different.

Love more, worry less ladies. Your yoohoo comes in all different shapes, colors and sizes. The last thing you should be when it comes to sex is self-conscious about your lady parts. Guys are only focusing on one thing during sex, and it’s not that. In fact, there are a lot of things girls worry about during sex that guys don’t actually care about.

3. Get tested.

STDs aren’t always noticeable. You could have one for years without knowing. That’s why it’s extremely important to get tested if there’s any chance you could have one. The UWL Student Health Center offers HIV and STD testing, along with counseling, acute care, contraceptives and gynecological and reproductive services.

4. Birth Control doesn’t protect you against STDs.

So, use condoms too! Just because you have Birth Control doesn’t mean that you don’t have to wear other forms of contraceptives. Birth Control doesn’t protect you against STDs. It’s unrealistic for you to ask your Friday night hook-up to run to the closest hospital to get tested, so that’s why it’s still important to use condoms. If possible, though, you should try to get tested beforehand (along with your partner). Getting tested after may or may not always save you from any long-term health effects, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

5. Be skeptical when using Tinder and other online dating forms

Tinder is fun and all, but do some background checks on your date before meeting up. Look for them online and on social media to make sure they are who they say they are. Online dating has its risks. Have fun with it, but be safe!

If you think you’re alone when it comes to questions about sex, you absolutely are not! If you have a question about it, it’s likely someone is wondering the same thing, and it’s likely somebody has already answered it for you out there. Don’t be afraid to talk to your girlfriends about it or visit the Student Health Center or Wellness Center on campus. Sex is normal. Embrace it and be safe!

Kasey is a UW-La Crosse collegiate, aspiring writer, and Campus Correspondent of the HC UW-Lax team. You can follow her on Pinterest @kaseyluo, Instagram @kaseylovergaard, and Twitter @kaseyLuO