Stay Spooky Halloween Hub 2019 Rep Images 9png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Stay Spooky Halloween Hub 2019 Rep Images 9png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pinterest
Style

We Need to Stop Slut Shaming Girls for their Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

According to Cady Heron in the movie Mean Girls, Halloween is the one time a year where girls can dress however they want, with no repercussions. So why is there such a stigma surrounding women’s halloween costumes? Around college campuses worldwide, “Halloweekend” is a sacred time of the year. Everyone is having parties, and there’s no need to fret about an outfit because you get to transform into someone new for the evening. Although clearly this year the holiday will look a bit different, there is no doubt you will still see people on campus decked out in costumes. 

Mean Girls phone scene
Lorne Michaels Productions

Females are constantly being judged and perceived based off of the clothing they wear. Whether their shirt is too cropped, or their pants have too many rips, or even that they look too modest, everyone always seems to have an opinion on women’s wardrobes. Halloween is no different. There has always been the notion that women tend to dress “slutty” on Halloween due to the fact that many college girls can be seens wearing lingerie, short, or tight clothing. Why does society have to criticize women for this? Many of the people who have already been planning their costumes for this year say that the reason they enjoy dressing a bit more provocative on Halloween is because it makes them feel good about themselves and it’s fun to wear clothes that they normally wouldn’t be allowed to wear out. 

Bridesmaids gif
Giphy

So if we aren’t letting women wear these clothes out normally, can we at least give them a day to boost their confidence and wear that expensive lace top they bought?  Ladies, if you choose to go out this year, wear that bralette, wear that short skirt, and OWN IT (and include a mask in the outfit of course)!

Hello! My name is Chloe Renzelmann and I am a freshman at UW-Lax. I will be majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Communications. When I'm not in class or writing, you can probably find me watching reality tv or working out!