etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Uncomfortable Situations: Gone.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Over this past weekend, you may have encountered an uncomfortable situation. If you are anything like my roommates, you went to Oktoberfest to just hang out with your friends and share a few laughs. However, you may have encountered several people slightly bursting that bubble by surprise flirting, cat calling, or dancing with you. It can be difficult to leave these situations if you do not have experience with this before, so here a few phrases to escape these encounters:

Note: This list is not guaranteed to free you from all situations, nor is it meant to help you in any dangerous situations where you should, instead, follow completely different procedures.

1.  “I left my friends straightener on.”

Everyone knows that nothing is more important than rushing to get that mess, and potential fire, figured out.

2.  “I’m late to a reunion party.”

Nobody not related to you wants to follow you to what could be a family gathering.

3.  “I’m late to a friend’s.”

Sometimes this isn’t the best response, but if you rush away, they may get the point.

4.  “What is that?” [points away and rushes away]

Maybe about half of the people you say this too will shrug it off, but I generally wouldn’t suggest it unless you’re in a crowd of people.

5.  “Sorry, I’m not interested.”

Saying this plain and simple is genuinely a good response if you’re polite and just walk away.

6.  “Sorry, I’m sick.”

If you’re good at pretending to be sick or if you typically have a sad looking face, this may work as well.

In general, do not feel the need to go along with what you don’t want to do. If all else, let them know how you feel, grab a friend, and get yourself out of the situation.

Any comments or feedback? Feel free to leave them in the comments section below!

Image: http://theberry.com/2015/10/17/hilarious-couple-turns-engagement-photos-into-uncomfortable-poses-14-photos/

Breanna is a Professional Communication Studies Student with a Sociology minor at UW-La Crosse. Some of her favorite hobbies are growing plants, doing yoga, and keeping up with being organized. Breanna is excited to be a part of Her Campus to help bring all women together more by sharing her thoughts and stories to the community, and to just make more friends. She hopes that many will appriciate her articles on lifestyle experiences to relationship advice.