The Ultimate College Moocher’s List of Things to Snag at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

If there’s anything I’ve learned in college it’s how to be a good moocher—a drink moocher, food moocher, homework moocher. Did you know that UW-La Crosse has a food pantry for college students? Yep! You can bet I’ll be hitting that up. Dwindling bank accounts as the semester drags on calls for desperate needs, and it’s a good thing Thanksgiving break comes just in time. I don’t know about you, but when I come home from college it’s like the fourth of July. My parents’ act like I’m the child they never had, and I turn into this goddess-like saint (thank goodness for abandoned nest syndrome, right?). The point is this is the perfect opportune moment to apply your mooching skills you have acquired and mastered throughout college. It’s not bad to take advantage of your parents if they’re offering, right?

Here is your ultimate moocher’s list of things to snag while you’re home for Thanksgiving to help you get through the rest of the semester:

1.  Food. Raid your cupboards for cereal, snacks, and canned goods. And don’t forget to snag some Thanksgiving leftovers! If you’re lucky and you ask nicely you’re parents might even take you grocery shopping.

2.  Shampoo/conditioner. And other bathing essentials like body wash, face wash, toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream and razors (you know those razors don’t come cheap!).

3.  Cosmetics and tampons (aka girl stuff). You may want to confront your mom on this one as she can relate on a personal level. Smooth her over and she may just make a detour with you down the cosmetics isle. Although they usually last longer than food, mascara, powder and foundation can add up to a hefty bill at the checkout counter without your mama by your side. (*Tip: go shopping with your parents and act like you are willing to buy your own small set of groceries, makeup, etc. with no expectations of them buying. Chances are they will be buying some things too, and chances are when you both get up to the checkout counter they will cave in the face of parentally guilt and offer to get your things too…Evil, I know…).

4.  Holiday decor. We can barely pay rent; how are we supposed to afford the cute, homey holiday decorations from the Hobby Lobby displays? Ask your parents what decorations they aren’t using at home and steal the leftovers for your dorm or apartment back at school!

5.  Drugs. And by that I mean cough medicine, cough drops, ibuprofen, and any other emergency necessities that could potentially save you during finals week.

6.  House supplies. Toilet paper, paper towels, dish soap, laundry detergent—all the things that make you a grown up. If you’re like my roommates and me, you’re probably savoring one small roll of toilet paper right now or living off of paper towels or tissues, trying to hold out until break when you can mooch off your parents’ house (My roommates and I would be caught dead before we bought another roll of toilet paper at this point). 

7.  A space heater and extra blankets. If you don’t have this at school already, see if you can snag a space heater or heated blanket from home. Whether you’re in the dorms or living off campus, you’re going to need it! Stock up on big, warm blankets and maybe even some extra pairs of socks—anything and everything to keep you warm this December.

Now, that you’ve gotten what you needed, don’t forget to be thankful for everything you do have (it is Thanksgiving after all), thank your family and let them know how much you appreciate their love and support. Because what would we do without them? A huge shout out and thank you to all the moms and dads of poor and helpless college students! Happy Thanksgiving! 

Kasey is a UW-La Crosse collegiate, aspiring writer, and Campus Correspondent of the HC UW-Lax team. You can follow her on Pinterest @kaseyluo, Instagram @kaseylovergaard, and Twitter @kaseyLuO