This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

The beginning of a new school year can be a stressful time for many people, but it also can be a great opportunity for self-reinvention. Whether that reinvention is changing something about yourself completely, or simply just adding a few new habits, it’s important to take the opportunity for a fresh start. One step I’m taking to create a more positive impact in my daily life this school year is starting daily journaling. When first hearing the concept of journaling, I envision a diary with long superfluous entries about one’s day. After looking deeper into some examples of daily journaling though, I found that journaling can be as simple as writing down just a few words, and it still has a great impact. Here are some steps to follow if you’re interested in implementing journaling into your routine, but you find it still seems a bit daunting. 

SCRIBBLE IN STYLE: If you’re anything like me, you see a cute notebook at the store and instantly decide you need to buy it. Typically, I end up putting it back on the shelf before checkout, though, because I can’t justify a need for it. Taking up journaling gives you a reason to go back to TJ Maxx and get that notebook you had your eye on. Not only this, but having a notebook that you like will also keep you more motivated to continue with journal entries and not just stop after a few days of journaling. 

PINSPO: Now that you have your journal, you might still be unsure of where to begin. For me, the best source of creative inspiration is Pinterest. You can find inspiration for the layout of each page, topics for journaling, and even self-affirmations to write in your daily entries. Having a source to base the formatting of my entries off helps me to feel like I know what I’m doing. 

CHILL. Don’t stress it too much. This is something that’s beneficial for calming you down and should be looked at as something fun. Take your own approach with it and use it as an opportunity for self-care and reflection. Happy journaling! 

Hello! My name is Chloe Renzelmann and I am a freshman at UW-Lax. I will be majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Communications. When I'm not in class or writing, you can probably find me watching reality tv or working out!