This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Home for the holidays looks a little different this year. If you’re away for school, you’ll still get to go back home and see friends and family, but this year there are some precautions to remember. Travel has been a recent area of concern lately due to the fact that it creates a larger spread of COVID. So if you have to travel this holiday season, don’t let it ruin your spirit. It’s easy to be safe, and here’s how. 

a laboratory worker takes a swab test
Photo by Mufid Majnun from Unsplash
GET TESTED. Before departing campus to head home, plan on getting a COVID test. Most campuses have free testing and many campuses are even requiring students to get tested before traveling home. For the most accurate results, try and get tested as close to when you depart from campus as possible and avoid going places once tested. Knowing you aren’t going to spread germs to loved ones back home will help to make the holiday season that much better. 

a phone that says stay home
Photo by Viktor Talashuk from Unsplash
STAY IN. Avoiding large group gatherings and public places is something that should have already been occurring this semester, but if you’ve decided not to follow guidelines, make a pact to avoid crowded places for the remainder of your time on campus. Even if you test negative, going to places with lots of people increases your chances of spreading disease. If possible, it’s also helpful to consider quarantining in the days leading up to when you leave campus. It might be difficult to limit your time with others, but it’s something that needs to happen for a safe return home.

zoom call with friends
Photo by Gabriel Benois from Unsplash
UTILIZE SOCIALS. No matter how many precautions you take before heading home, there may be some family and friends who you’re still unable to visit with. It’s saddening to not see those you love, especially around the holidays, but luckily we have many forms of technology that allow us to connect virtually. Consider planning a virtual holiday party with friends or singing carols with loved ones over video call. Finding alternate ways to share the magic of the holidays is a great way to be creative over the holidays. 

Courtesy of Lorraine Padgett
DISCOVER. Many of us are dreading the long period of time spent at home, and some of us won’t have classes to keep occupied with. Use this extra free time to find things you love. Whether it’s a new exercise routine, a talent in painting, or a new show to binge watch, keeping busy this holiday season will get you through the long break. Not a fan of trying new things? Make some money! Getting a job gets you into a routine and gives you lots of new spending money for when you get back to school. 

Hopefully this holiday season looks a bit more jolly after reading this article. Stay safe and enjoy the time spent with loved ones.

Hello! My name is Chloe Renzelmann and I am a freshman at UW-Lax. I will be majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Communications. When I'm not in class or writing, you can probably find me watching reality tv or working out!