Recipes to Fight the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

It’s that time of year again, collegiettes! The weather is chronically below freezing, the sun is still setting before six, and your summer clothes are stashed so far back in your closet you can barely remember the freeing feeling of bare legs.

That sluggish, sleepy, irritable feeling you get come winter isn’t just in your head. Many Americans are diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) every winter—25 million, to be exact—and most of these cases are women. While there are obvious solutions to fighting depression, like meditation and exercise, one important piece of the puzzle is eating the right foods. Fresh fruits and veggies are easier (and cheaper) to come by in summer, but that doesn’t mean our diet should consist of mostly comfort foods like mac and cheese and pizza (not that pizza really has one specific season).

Here I’ve compiled delicious recipes that use healthy, depression-fighting ingredients to boost your happiness and your health as these cold months drag on.

Black Bean Salad

According to WebMD, protien should be eaten at every meal as a way to boost that good mood. What’s great about this salad, aside from the fact that it’s packed with veggies like tomatoes, corn, avacado, and greens, is that it’s vegetarian. Good for the animals, good for the environment, and good for your mental and physical health!

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Granola Bites

This all-natural snack kills two birds with one stone: it’s packed with protein from the peanut butter and combines it with oatmeal, a whole grain to boost energny and wellness.

Turkey Breakfast Sausage

For those collegiettes who prefer a little meat in their diets why not try making your own breakfast sausage with turkey? It’s leaner than traditional pork sausage and you’ll actually know what you’re consuming opposed to the store-bought, pre-made questionable variety. Turkey also contains tryptophan, a chemical that stimulates the production of serotonin in the brain.

Vegetable Kabobs

Perhaps you are like me and cooking isn’t exactly your thing. Why not try the easiest recipe in the world—you literally just stab vegetables and throw them in the oven—to incorporate more colorful veggies into your diet.

Maple Candied Walnuts

What, you think I’d leave out the sweets? Walnuts are known to fight depression, so if you don’t enjoy them on their own, try the candied version (or try the candied version because it’s the best of both worlds).

Iced Green Tea Mojito

Green tea the miracle food strikes again! Try sneaking green tea into your diet every now and then (instead of Red Bull and coffee) and if you’re feeling really fancy and ambitious maybe you’ll even reach for one of these tall thirst-quenchers!

Honey Salmon

I’m a sucker for a good salmon filet, but I know fish isn’t everyone’s favorite dish. Salmon does, however, have a ton of health benefits, like a plethora of vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids, and lots of protein. With the right seasonings I’m a strong believer that anyone can enjoy some salmon here and there.

Roasted Garlic & Herb Mushroom Medley

I’ll say it: mushrooms are the most underrated food of all time. On top of being the most delicious addition to a pasta or steak dish, they also bring a good amount of vitamin D to the table (pun intended) which can absorb into your body the way the sun does in the summer…not that you should stop eating mushrooms come June.

Quinoa Stuffed Red Bell Peppers

While red bell peppers have always been the superior pepper in my book, it’s actually true that red bell peppers have more vitamin C and vitamin A than other bell peppers.

Double Chocolate Grain-Free Brownies

That’s right, collegiettes! Get your dose of chocolate to heal the winter blues! Just make sure you’re buying the right kind of chocolate. Cacao should be your chocolate ingredient of choice, as it is the most beneficial in boosting seratonin production and cognition with vitamin B and magnesium. Cacao also aids in temporary bursts of concentration and heightens the libido. Score!