This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

I can’t say I’m unique in my love for traveling as so many people say that, but I may be slightly outside the norm in that I love traveling alone. To me, it’s so much more calming and fun to be independent. A year or two ago I may have been moderately terrified to travel alone, but now it’s my preference. And walking around an airport on your own is somehow so freeing. I could be anyone, coming from anywhere, going anywhere. Nobody knows. And frankly, nobody cares.

Below are a few reasons why travelling alone is the best.

IT’S RELAXING TO BE FREE OF OTHERS’ EXPECTATIONS

Not that the people I travel with are ever drastically demanding of me, but it’s nice to have to freedom of reporting to and being responsible for you and yourself alone.

YOU CAN BE THE TRUEST VERSION OF YOURSELF

Again, not that being with other people makes you fake, but you know how your personality just shifts slightly depending on who you’re with?

YOU CAN ENJOY YOUR OWN COMPANY

Related yet again, but isn’t it good to just get some “me time”? I’ll admit, sometimes spending time with myself is kind of scary. Ok not scary, but uncomfortable. Sometimes I don’t want to be alone with myself, but it’s good to take the time to check in with yourself and get to know you better.

YOU CAN DREAM IMPOSSIBLE SCENARIOS

Like I said earlier, walking through an airport alone, you could be anyone going anywhere. You can pretend to be whoever you want. Are you a millionaire jetting off, spur of the moment, to Italy? You could be.

YOU HAVE FREEDOM TO LISTEN TO AN EPIC PLAYLIST

Your epic playlist may be defined as epic by you and you only. But so long as you’re the only one listening to it, who cares! Also, being alone means you simply have the freedom to listen to music. When it’s just you it’s not rude to plug into your earbuds for even hours at a time.

YOU CAN CREATE YOUR OWN AGENDA – OR HAVE NO AGENDA AT ALL

One of my favorite parts of travelling alone is doing whatever you want. No compromising or bargaining with others for fitting in what everyone wants to do, but instead freedom to do as much or as little as you want. You can plan your trip to a T or have no plans at all. Want to wander the airport and find the best coffeeshop? Do it. Want to take an intriguing exit on the way to your hotel? Do it. Want to lay in bed late into the morning and order room service? You guessed it. Nike. Just do it.

If you don’t have an epic playlist, here’s a suggestion for you! Not claiming it to be epic by any means, but it’s inspired by my recent travels to California.

Lauren is a sophomore at UW-La Crosse studying communications, business administration, and digital studies and design. In her rare spare time she enjoys reading, hiking, listening to music, and anything to do with Harry Potter or coffee.